2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

whats better.. cold air intake or short rams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
JRADSNEON
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats better.. cold air intake or short rams?

reason im asking is because im getting an apexi n1 exhaust soon and do not know which is better... cold air intake or short ram. i live in minnesota if that has a factor in it.
any input helps
thanks!!
j-rad

Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 AM
JRADSNEON

anyone wnna help??

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

Before I bought mines (CAI) I went to the net and did some research. This should answer your question
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...old_air_intake

Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

well im pretty sure that for the neon there is only a cold air intake.
i got me a AEM brand intake and it extends down by the wheel fender.and if you take the black cover out u get better air flow.

but a short ram intake is only possible if u make a short pipe and put a filter on it which would basically look like the original air box. so meaning a cai should extend down by the wheel.

and if you dont want to spend much on a cold air intake go on ebay and get one from there then just change the air filter to one from aem or K&N.thats what other peeople will say.

and one last thing getting the intake will sorta make ur exaust sound better and louder.
( it also sounds cool cause u can here the intake sucking in air if u listen very good.)

well hope that helped.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
JRADSNEON

Originally Posted by mannyfresh18
well im pretty sure that for the neon there is only a cold air intake.
i got me a AEM brand intake and it extends down by the wheel fender.and if you take the black cover out u get better air flow.

but a short ram intake is only possible if u make a short pipe and put a filter on it which would basically look like the original air box. so meaning a cai should extend down by the wheel.

and if you dont want to spend much on a cold air intake go on ebay and get one from there then just change the air filter to one from aem or K&N.thats what other peeople will say.

and one last thing getting the intake will sorta make ur exaust sound better and louder.
( it also sounds cool cause u can here the intake sucking in air if u listen very good.)

well hope that helped.
thanks
yeah i already like how much louder the air intakes are on neons then on other cars.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by JRADSNEON
thanks
yeah i already like how much louder the air intakes are on neons then on other cars.

ur welcome.

what brand are u going to go with? if u do buy one.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

the short ram intakes are available on e-bay.. forgot how they compare in price to the CAI's, but I got my short ram off e-bay (pic below, taken a while ago, before I replaced the filter).. was the first engine mod I did, and even when I had a stock muffler on it, was still getting a nice sound from it.
Just wondering about the statement that the short ram is basically just like the stock air box. (?)... from what I saw when I took mine off, it is basically an enclosed path (just like a CAI) that has an air tube leading out into the wheel well... it's just that a real CAI has the filter in the wheel well, and the stock has the filter up near the throttle body...

so which one again is the stock air box more like?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
mjs182004
Veteran

i would get a cai, simply because it will suck it cold air. a sri will suck in warm air from the engine and you will not gain anything, other than intake noise. just my 02.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 AM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mjs182004
i would get a cai, simply because it will suck it cold air. a sri will suck in warm air from the engine and you will not gain anything, other than intake noise. just my 02.
+1, hit the nail on the head.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 AM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

Originally Posted by mjs182004
yeah this is what i meant by the short ram being the same as the stock box.
a intake on the neon is meant to suck in cold air from location by the wheel well i dont think the intake is meant to suck in hot air.

Quick Reply: whats better.. cold air intake or short rams?