2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

SRT Exhaust Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:57 PM
et_agus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, thanks for all the input guys!
I've only had it on a couple days. On my way up to Ventura from L.A. had two CHP pull up behind me (and I was going almost, if not, 90mph) First one just passed me and did nothing. About ten minutes later another one came up on me really fast, flashed his lights, then proceeded to pass me. Some luck.

I think I'll look into the glasspack.

CONTAGIOUS, where along the exhaust would the glasspack go, how much did you end up paying for parts/labor?

Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 AM
neonftw87
Professional

im saying yes its prolly illegal cause cali is very strict about decibals and emissions... and just like sarguy01 said... from what ive read cali is very strick with modifying cars.... Its cool tho guys... darthroush makes it a point to give me hell every chance he can.... dont try to fight him... he knows everything....

Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sarguy01
but it is a factory part on a vehicle that never came with it. isn't cali really strict on modifying cars?
Depends. Sound wise it will depend if you find that one cop, just like window tint. As long as you can pass emissions and are not illegally modifying the car, they don't care a whole lot. They crack down on imports for the above reason and they generally have the highest amounts of stolen parts on them as well.

Originally Posted by neonftw87
im saying yes its prolly illegal cause cali is very strict about decibals and emissions... and just like sarguy01 said... from what ive read cali is very strick with modifying cars.... Its cool tho guys... darthroush makes it a point to give me hell every chance he can.... dont try to fight him... he knows everything....
You're right. I live in California and wouldn't know a thing about the laws. I was also unaware that a muffler reduced emissions output. Sound wise, does it exceed the legal decibel limit? I'm sure it would be close, but I doubt it since it was a factory exhaust. Sounds the same as an SRT-4.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:35 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Mine has the midpipe from the srt-4 with the two resonators. Illegal, i would say no. Will you get harrased, possibly, depends on the cop. Even with the resonators you might set alarms off. With mine I had a charger go off just from starting my car.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
contagious19
Champion

Originally Posted by et_agus
Alright, thanks for all the input guys!
I've only had it on a couple days. On my way up to Ventura from L.A. had two CHP pull up behind me (and I was going almost, if not, 90mph) First one just passed me and did nothing. About ten minutes later another one came up on me really fast, flashed his lights, then proceeded to pass me. Some luck.

I think I'll look into the glasspack.

CONTAGIOUS, where along the exhaust would the glasspack go, how much did you end up paying for parts/labor?
the glass pack would go right on the mid pipe i got a 22" on and it cost me 30 to install my rear section and 30 for glasspack

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
irishking
Professional

I have a SRT-4 exhaust and I love it. Parking lots I def set alarms off in lots. I think its funny. I have been pulled over but they usually pull me over for tint and red side markers. I usually somehow get out of it. Im from the philly Pa area and city cops have better things to do but once you hit the suburbs they become A**holes. I usually tell the cops its a factory pipe and thats how they sound on srt-4s lol. they usually buy it. I know its going to be loud but I am going for the long tube headers with no cat. I like Loud.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
et_agus
Professional

Originally Posted by contagious19
the glass pack would go right on the mid pipe i got a 22" on and it cost me 30 to install my rear section and 30 for glasspack
Awesome, not so bad. I'm def gonna get it done, before it ends up costing me more.

On a side note, this exhaust is getting me **** from hondas and an SRT4. It's funny, they just follow me around for a bit, then turn away.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Ram Guy

It's illegal because it's not on the original car. If it were a SRT then you'd be fine............

Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
contagious19
Champion
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Guy
It's illegal because it's not on the original car. If it were a SRT then you'd be fine............
Again, since when has it become illegal in CA to change out the factory muffler? I'd love to see the law regarding this.

Quick Reply: SRT Exhaust Illegal?