its called modified exhaust

Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by contagious19
its called modified exhaust
Yes, that is when you have modified it and it is no longer legal due to "noise pollution." There isn't an actual law though that says you cannot use aftermarket exhaust parts. As long as your exhaust, factory or not, complies with the noise level limits, no worries (i.e.- the "VTEC" Civic's with 4" cat-less exhaust systems).

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
or similar device.
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
scraper neon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

believe me dude its illegal i live in cali, and know there retarded laws, u will find out when u go to get it smoged

Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I live in California too, but I don't have to smog. Why wouldn't you pass smog with it?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 AM
contagious19
Champion

i passed smog wit a muffler from pepboys and it wasnt too loud.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Ram Guy

Originally Posted by darthroush
Again, since when has it become illegal in CA to change out the factory muffler? I'd love to see the law regarding this.
The reason it's illegal is because your car came stock with a muffler. Removing the muffler off any street car is illegal..............

Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Ram Guy
The reason it's illegal is because your car came stock with a muffler. Removing the muffler off any street car is illegal..............
A resonator (2 on the SRT midpipe) is a "muffler" device. Again, it goes back to the law about the noise limit:

Adequate Muffler Required

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 558, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978. Supersedes Ch. 579.
Regulations Governing Exhaust Systems

27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.
(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.
(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.
(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.
(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Amended Sec. 3, Ch. 569, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
I'm done with this thread, in all honesty. That's the law (I copied it directly from the 2009 CVC, Division 12, Chapter 5, Article 2). The SRT exhaust system does not violate these laws. That particular exhaust system came on the vehicle from the factory for sale legally in CA. Putting it on another car would make it an aftermarket exhaust system, but again, it does not violate the laws to begin with so there is no reason that it being on basically the same car will make it illegal. If you don't want to accept the law for what it is and be afraid to do anything to your vehicle, your choice. Just because you believe it is illegal with no proof other than saying it didn't come on the car (aftermarket parts are not illegal), does not make it so. I am really loving hearing this from people who don't have never apparently looked at the laws regarding it. There's the current CVC regarding anything relavant to the exhaust system issue. If you get pulled over for it, now you know the law. If you bend over and take it, your problem, not mine. I have never recieved a ticket for an illegal exhaust system and every single vehicle I own or have owned has had an aftermarket exhaust system (not factory as some are arguing), and have never recieved a ticket for it, let alone even being pulled over for it. Take it with a grain of salt. Here's the information, use it to your advantage if the time ever comes.

I did not mean to sound like and *** or put anyone out, but I'm simply telling anyone who reads this that by the CVC legal definition, simply bolting up the complete SRT exhaust is not illegal (note I say complete as the factory Neon midpipe has NO resonators and would therefore make it illegal = straight-pipe exhaust system). Looking back, the OP never mentions bolting up the SRT midsection, which would in fact make his particular set-up illegal and anyone else who hasn't put the SRT midsection in. The complete set-up itself which many, including myself, is not.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
contagious19
Champion

Originally Posted by darthroush
A resonator (2 on the SRT midpipe) is a "muffler" device. Again, it goes back to the law about the noise limit:

I'm done with this thread, in all honesty. That's the law (I copied it directly from the 2009 CVC, Division 12, Chapter 5, Article 2). The SRT exhaust system does not violate these laws. That particular exhaust system came on the vehicle from the factory for sale legally in CA. Putting it on another car would make it an aftermarket exhaust system, but again, it does not violate the laws to begin with so there is no reason that it being on basically the same car will make it illegal. If you don't want to accept the law for what it is and be afraid to do anything to your vehicle, your choice. Just because you believe it is illegal with no proof other than saying it didn't come on the car (aftermarket parts are not illegal), does not make it so. I am really loving hearing this from people who don't have never apparently looked at the laws regarding it. There's the current CVC regarding anything relavant to the exhaust system issue. If you get pulled over for it, now you know the law. If you bend over and take it, your problem, not mine. I have never recieved a ticket for an illegal exhaust system and every single vehicle I own or have owned has had an aftermarket exhaust system (not factory as some are arguing), and have never recieved a ticket for it, let alone even being pulled over for it. Take it with a grain of salt. Here's the information, use it to your advantage if the time ever comes.

I did not mean to sound like and *** or put anyone out, but I'm simply telling anyone who reads this that by the CVC legal definition, simply bolting up the complete SRT exhaust is not illegal (note I say complete as the factory Neon midpipe has NO resonators and would therefore make it illegal = straight-pipe exhaust system). Looking back, the OP never mentions bolting up the SRT midsection, which would in fact make his particular set-up illegal and anyone else who hasn't put the SRT midsection in. The complete set-up itself which many, including myself, is not.
u have a point thats why i say its not illegal,

Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 AM
neonftw87
Professional

i got stock exhaust alll the way back to the muffler, cat is still on there and everyting, , i cut the origanal muff off, and put a magnaflow canister on, 4 inch tip.... and i still set off alarms... just depends on how big of a dick you come across in ky, but cali i would still be careful.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM
neonftw87
Professional

cali is way bigger than where i live, more cops and ****, i disregard the statement i mad about it would be illegal to an extent.... im not saying i was totally wrong, or totally rignt.. i am tho saying, that things have changed since the SRT neon models have changed, not really with emissions.... since they have came out, the ricer scene has came out hardcore, which is why they started inforcing our tuner exhausts.... like roush said it does depend on the cop that is coming after you, really if you think about it, which cop is it that has a thing for busting tuners... and if you get pulled by that particular ******* lol

Quick Reply: SRT Exhaust Illegal?