2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2.0L engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my roomates 93 s-10 with the 2.8 has the world class t-5 and its destroyed. I will tell you though it is a very easy tranny to take all the way apart and back together. You can tear a t-5 down and back together in less than 20 mins. So even if it does break it's easy to repair.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Kabnoot
Professional

omg I thought we were talking about turbos here not trannys jesus I am lost now...but then again I didnt really know what you were talking about in the first place.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

I have to agree the t5s are very very easy to take apart and rebuild when they go... there are plenty for transmissions that will work and most of them can be had for cheap... you could always go with a mazda m5r2 out of the last generation thunderbird they have a reputation of being weak along with the version thats in the ford trucks but its biggest problem is these lil steel plugs on the top plate that pop off and cause the tranny to leak... and those transmissions for some reason even just a half a quart low and they will burn up... but i know guys with the truck version that have a 4cly cummins in front of them putting down 3-400lb-ft at least and they take every once of it... just gotta make sure that there is always the correct amount of fluid in the transmission and it will last just fine....

Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Not really the most accurate way to gauge the threshold of a T-5. Just like some srt owners have pushed stock internals well beyond the 500hp limit. Horsepower does not cause engine failure, but detonation does. Among other things. Horsepower does not cause transmission failure, as the power originates from torque. Excessive torque, and poor driving skills kill transmissions. Among other things.
for the most part detonation is the killer of engines but i do know one guy that will argue with you and prove you wrong on the fact just hp won't kill an engine... example: 1st gen altima 2.4 engine with stock internals.... running 15psi of boost dynoed at 300hp at the wheels... and tuned safe with absolutely no detonation then engine ran great but eventually the rods just gave out they were to weak for the power.... he proved it with more then one engine too after the 3rd engine he finally built a forged internal engine for it... most people would think its stupid to have an engine fail the same way more then once but he was out to prove the stock internals limit and for that engine 300 is it.... also with the transmission read my above statement for the most part yeah poor driving and extra tq is what kills a transmission but there are other reasons...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may still use the World Class T-5. There are Mustang people who run 10's and 11's with them. Who knows, in a few years when I start this project the T-56 may be had for cheap. I am not going to put in a transmission that is not easy to find or is not capable of holding big power.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

yeah if you got the t-5 deff go for it use it... should work just fine.... lol can't wait to see this project

Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Altima_wb
for the most part detonation is the killer of engines but i do know one guy that will argue with you and prove you wrong on the fact just hp won't kill an engine...
Hp comes from torque. No torque. No hp. No broken rods. Your friend is wrong. Hence the reason 90% 4cly and cars with smaller dispalcement must rev high (4500+rpms) to make power. Neons, hondas, jettas, sentras, etc. Now the 2.4/2.5 models do not have this crutch like the 1.8L and 2.0L. Lower the displacent, will lower the torque, will lower the hp, and the rods do not break. Detonation on a n/a car is far less of an issue than for a boosted car.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

Question, what would be needed to convert a 04 SOHC to a DOHC, would my friend need to get a head from a 2.4L along with pcm? Or would the older 2.0L DOHC heads work, I thought I read somewhere that the oil passages are different. Also would the 2.4L engine bolt up to the trans for a 2.0? Im pretty sure they have the some bolt patteren just making sure.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Kabnoot
Professional

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Hp comes from torque. No torque. No hp. No broken rods. Your friend is wrong. Hence the reason 90% 4cly and cars with smaller dispalcement must rev high (4500+rpms) to make power. Neons, hondas, jettas, sentras, etc. Now the 2.4/2.5 models do not have this crutch like the 1.8L and 2.0L. Lower the displacent, will lower the torque, will lower the hp, and the rods do not break. Detonation on a n/a car is far less of an issue than for a boosted car.
That would explain why my car is soooo slow at first.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Moparmatt440
Question, what would be needed to convert a 04 SOHC to a DOHC, would my friend need to get a head from a 2.4L along with pcm? Or would the older 2.0L DOHC heads work, I thought I read somewhere that the oil passages are different. Also would the 2.4L engine bolt up to the trans for a 2.0? Im pretty sure they have the some bolt patteren just making sure.
This has been discussed on several boards. It has been stated that a stand alone engine management system would be needed for this to work. In my opinion, swapping a dohc 2.4L into a sohc neon is easier than a 1G. Reason being the srt/pt cruiser is has the same mounting point as a 2G neon. Should be possible for a 2G neon to use a 5sp pt cruiser pcm, rather than using Mega Squirt

Quick Reply: 2.0L engines