2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

03 Neon SXT basic maintenance/mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Zyks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Neon SXT basic maintenance/mods

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 03 Neon SXT yesterday. It has 53k miles on it. I don't know much about car actually.

First, I would need some guides on the basic maintenance like when should I get my sparks plug change, oil change, steering oil change, tires, or brake pads, and etc? I don't know how long those parts will last and I would like to get it change before any of the parts start damaging my car.
Actually, I have no idea what does the mechanic do when I bring my car to service? Does he inspect the car very carefully?

Second, it's about changing the headlights and fog lights. I like to see my car have white color(that's called halogen perhaps?) headlights as well as fog lights, but I have no idea which kind of bulbs I can buy to replace them? Please show me websites or model of bulbs I can buy. I would very likely to look up the model on ebay though.

I don't need to do any performance mods, but I would like to have auto start. Can I know how much does it gonna cost normally? I think it is good at winter times because it snows a lot in the town where I live, so I need to get the car well warmed up before I drive it.

Thanks you all in advance for all the wise suggestion and help. = )

Here is a picture of the neon.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

pdftown.com has the mechanics manual for your car. that should give you alot of useful info. it might not be for your exact year, but 03 and up is the same.

mechanics dont usually, unless you have one thats looking for problems, inspect your car other than for the problem you took it in there for.

i dont know about the lights issue.

as for auto start, most are $200 and up.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always perform basic maintenance as soon as I buy a car (what is on the list below). You can't trust anyone to have properly cared for it unless they have proof. As for taking your car to a mechanic for a "tune up," they will charge you lots of money to do the above, and generally won't go over anything else in your car for you.
  • Spark plugs - I change basic copper core plugs every year usually. They aren't expensive at all, and are very easy to replace on these cars.
  • Air filter - If you live in a city area (not a lot of dust), I'd go 12,000 to 15,000 miles. I live in a dustier area so I go with 10,000 to 12,000. Again, not too expensive and easy to change.
  • Oil change - many different opinions on this. I personally go 3,000 miles on a dino or synthetic-blend, and 6,000 with a full synthetic. I am going to have a UOA done on this upcoming oil change to see if I can run the synthetic oil longer than that. That is really the best way to establish how often you need to change the oil in your car; providing you use the same oil and filter you are having tested (every oil is different; some filters are, some aren't) and drive the car the same way all the time.
  • Brake pads - when they get low. Simply take a peek at them and see where they are at.
  • Tires - check air pressure often and rotate the tires every 3,000-5,000 miles.
  • Coolant - You can check it with a tester to see what the protection level is. Every other year just to be safe is not a bad idea.
  • Serviceable battery - Check the fluid level every oil change. If any of the cells are low, fill to the fill line with distilled water only. Clean the terminals as well if necessary.
For the lights, I believe you are talking about HID. To properly do that, you will need to buy projector housings and then the actual HID kit. They are technically not legal on any car that did not come with them, but people generally are not bothered about it.

Remote start is something I want to get for my car as well. Basic systems can vary from $50 to $600. Bulldog Security has their basic system for $50. Viper has their one-mile LCD remote start for $540. I'm probably going to go with something like the Bulldog system because I don't need an LCD remote or a one-mile activation range.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Zyks

Thanks for the advice from both of you.

I still have some questions here.

@bone33:
I looked up in the pdftown and it only has the Neon 2000 model. Is that applicable to 2003 Neon?
Also, what does mechanics normally do when you take the car to service? He does what you ask him to?

@darthroush:

Do you have a website that sells inexpensive parts that you mention in your post for 2003 Neon?

What are the fair prices for all the parts like spark plugs, oil, air filter, and brake pads?

Would you mind to show me which model/brand is suitable for the car? Like copper or premium plugs for neon 2003 SXT, and any other parts like air filter.

How can I tell when is the time to change the brake pads?

I only have an adjustable wrench and some screw drivers. Is it good enough to change those parts by myself?

Regarding the HID light, why does it need additional projector housing? Or it is using differnet kind of bulbs that doesn't fit the stock housing?

I am an international students that live in an apartment near school with no garage, and will probably own this car for the next 2 years and so only. Is it a good investment to keep those parts well maintained and fresh, consider the associated
cost that goes with it. (Tools, Parts)

Can I install the auto starts by myself or I have to order it and bring it to a mechanics.

I know I have a lot of questions and I'm really a rookie. Any help will be much appreciated. = ) I believe this post will help any other rookies as well.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

For the manual, look through the threads I have started. I have the link to it in one of them. It has an obvious title as well.

I wouldn't buy those parts online. Not worth it as they aren't expensive at parts stores.

Prices:
  • Spark plugs - for the factory Champion copper plugs (copper plugs are just fine. Some performance shops actually recommend copper plugs even for built engines), I wouldn't pay anything more than about $10 for the four of them. Cost me $9 and change at a small, local store that generally charges a bit more for parts.
  • Air filter - They are...$15 or so at Wal-Mart for the basic FRAM filter.
  • Oil and filter - From Wal-Mart, you can get 5qts. of the SuperTech oil and a SuperTech filter for around $20-$25. You can get other oil or filters. Just depends what you are looking to accomplish. For a basic oil change that you can run for 3,000 miles, the SuperTech stuff will get the job done.
  • Brake pads and tires - It is going to depend on many things that will determine the prices. Econo parts are cheap, for a reason.
  • Coolant - Stick with a G-05. Don't buy DexCool...ever.
To tell when you need to change the brake pads and shoes, you have to visually look at them. If there is hardly any material left on them --> time to change. Some tire places will check them for free for you. With the tools you have, you could change the oil and air filter.

For the HID lighting, you need a projector housing because without it, the factory housing that is made for a halogen bulb, will produce too much glare. The bulb is also sometimes different, but that's where buying the correct kit comes in.

Whether you are only keeping the car for 2 years, 5 years, whatever, I personally believe in taking care of my things. I would do any and all maintenance necessary while I own the vehicle. In your case, you may just be better off taking it to a shop and have them perform the basic maintenance on it for you. None of the above listed things besides brakes and tires should cost very much at all. Oil changes run like $20-$25 for regular oil. Wal-Mart will install the air filter for you if you buy it from them; not that I trust any of them to touch my cars. It is only four screws for that anyways. Not hard at all. Another way to look at it is that even if you buy some tools, they are something you can and will use for the rest of your life. You can never have too many tools.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Zyks

Thanks again for your input.

What about HID light. I don't think those part stores would have the light in-stock. Can I order it online at ebay and get a mechanic to install for me ?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes (though there are better places) and it would depend on the mechanic. Some would, some wouldn't I'm sure.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Zyks
Thanks for the advice from both of you.

I still have some questions here.

@bone33:
I looked up in the pdftown and it only has the Neon 2000 model. Is that applicable to 2003 Neon?
Also, what does mechanics normally do when you take the car to service? He does what you ask him to?
you didnt look hard enough. its there http://pdftown.com/2004-Dodge-Neon-S...ce-Manual.html this covers 2003 and up
if i took my car for service. ( i dont ) the mechanic would do the service required for that interval, say 30,000 miles an example would be : air cleaner, oil change, check brakes, exhaust check, wipers, etc. just so you understand, the above is an example... other service may be required, i didnt check my book on the 30,000 mile interval. but anyway he would do basic things, that if you had a manual, you could learn how to do and save yourself a ton of cash.

i have had neons since 2000 and have never taken mine to a mechanic. well mine ( i have two now) have not broken down at all either other than a code here or there that i fixed myself and a few brake jobs. i just do the service and i know its done right.

Quick Reply: 03 Neon SXT basic maintenance/mods