2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Slipping transmission and leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why you have to buy the thin ones, like the above. Those are the "thin line" of Perma-Cool...coolers

Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your success is only limited by your imagination.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
lilreddakota
Rookie

I have been dealing with this issue for a while. I found an aftermarket replacement radiator that has what I think is an updated trans cooler. The OEM unit had a cooler with internal threads and was sealed by threading the hose nipples into it. Basically sandwiching the lower tank between the fitting and the cooler. The threads are not very sturdy or long either. Any leak here and you mix coolant and trans fluid. The replacement has the cooler and hose nipples as all one unit. The cooler is threaded on the outside for a nut to seal the cooler in tank. Much better and more reliable set up IMO.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

More expensive than just getting a trans cooler sounds like, but that is pretty cool that there is that option too if you need/want a new radiator as well.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
If your not looking to do all of what I am, I'd go with the 1010. It is made for compact and small cars with a GVW of 12,000-14,000. The 1011 is for compact to small cars with occasional towing (14,000-16,000 GVW), but I am going to use it because of where I live and how I drive. Any aftermarket cooler not installed inline with the factory unit will keep them from mixing because you are bypassing the piece that can fail and cause them to mix.
Originally Posted by ATF cooler repair guide
If you do choose to install a tranny cooler, do not, let me repeat, do not bypass the factory cooler. Your intention is to ADD additional cooling to the system, not replace an engineered component (the factory
cooler). As such, what you do is just what Perry did. Trace your tranny lines, and determine which one is the SEND line, going into the factory cooler, and which one is the RETURN line.
so im NOT supposed to completely replace the OEM cooler? i thought it was meant to completely bypass the original.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I don't get that post at all...there is nothing wrong with completely bypassing the stock trans cooler... I still hold is ENGINEERED wrong... but Chrysler would never admit it

with that logic, I guess we all have to take off our aftermarket Cold Air intakes and put the stock ones back on... because we "replaced a factory engineered component"

The mechanic that I worked closely with when I had all my troubles (which are all solved now) actually recommended places to go to get one and install it

Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Franklinnn
so im NOT supposed to completely replace the OEM cooler? i thought it was meant to completely bypass the original.
Most people, unlike what you quoted from Allpar, that do this to Neons are in fact trying to replace it for the posted reason. Yes, if you simply wanted to add more cooling, obviously you'd keep the factory unit otherwise you wouldn't be adding to anything. I am using a bit bigger one than needed to 1. replace the factory unit and 2. add a bit more cooling.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Franklinnn
Rookie

i was thinking there was some parts in the OEM than the aftermarket.. what about a filter or a temp gauge?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The filter is in the transmission, so rerouting the hoses to a different cooler will make no difference. No transmission temp gauge from the factory either.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
The filter is in the transmission, so rerouting the hoses to a different cooler will make no difference. No transmission temp gauge from the factory either.

So im going to order the 1010 now, but after i install it, how will i know if its operating at the right temps and working properly?

how hard would it be to ad a temp gauge to the tranny, or is it not really needed?

Quick Reply: Slipping transmission and leaking coolant