2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Help overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 PM
redsl
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help overheating

electric fan will not turn on. I do not get any codes for the ECT sensor. I checked all the fuses and replaced the Fan relay. I replaced the fan. If I hot wire the yellow wire going to the fan it comes on. I let it idle and temp gauge went into the red and the fan never came on so I shut it down. Does anyone know what can be causing this. I did drive the car for 10 miles and the temp gauge stayed in the middle. When I parked and let it idle (for about 20 mins) that's when it went to red. I am assuming the fan did not come on while I drove but was going fast enough to keep the radiator and temp gauge at normal. I checked to see if I am getting heat and there is heat into the car so I am thinking water pump is ok. I also replaced the top radiator hose, a new thermostat and gasket and a new radiator cap. Also flushed out the system. Please someone help me its my daughters car and she is driving me crazy she wants to drive it. LOL thanks

Last edited by redsl; 07-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a bunch of stuff about the fan in here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/250064-draining-coolant-2000-neon.html

EDIT: I don't know why you can't simply copy and paste a thread link and have it work (it cuts out the 2nd gen neon part for some reason when you click it). I've figured it out before, but can't now. Just copy that link and paste it in the address bar.

Last edited by darthroush; 07-01-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
redsl
Rookie

still can't figure it out. Where do the wires from the ECT go? is it possible its bad even though the temp gauge is moving to hot and I do not get any codes. can i install another sensor to operate the fan on its own? Does the wires from the ECT go to the temp gauge in instrument panel or to the PCM. If it goes to the PCm is there another fan relay that may be bad on the PCm. If so where would it be and what does it look like.

Last edited by redsl; 07-01-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM
redsl
Rookie

Problem was solved. The fan now works. for some reason the AC compressor was connected to the fan. It burned out compressor. But every thing is now fixed and working THANK YOU

Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 AM
seaneon00

what do you mean the fan was connected to the ac compressor? My fans don't work, but it hasn't overheated so Ive been ignoring it (and not using the ac) but I'm tired of obsessively watching the gauge

Old 08-28-2010, 01:04 AM
redsl
Rookie

I had a problem when I bought the car. It was obviously put together incorrectly. There were two plugs one connected to the fan the other connected to the compressor. Both these lines (plugs) were wired together so when one came on to turn the fan on like it was supposed to so did the other one that connected to the compressor. It burned out the compressor. If your fan does not work try to jump the wires to the connector and see if the fan starts to turn if it does you can rule out the fan. Also in the box under the hood, you can replace the fan relay. Even though it may not be reading any codes, make sure you try to get someone with a real OBDII to clear it. Sometimes the cheaper ones do not completly clear the codes. If that does not work it may be the coolant temp unit that needs to be replaced. Make sure you have enough anitfreeze to flow over the sensor to get the proper reading

Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
seaneon00

I'm going to jump the wires this weekend. I just have to read how cause I've never done it. I'm pretty sure the fan is fine because it's brand new. (I swapped it out when I found out the other one wasn't working since I got a new one for almost free)

Regarding the coolant temp sensor...can I rule that out since the fan doesn't come on with the ac? Shouldn't it come on anyway regardless of how hot anything is?

Anyway thanks. I'm going to go fiddle with wires.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:47 PM
seaneon00

or...how do I make a manual switch....just on/off. the fan works, jumping the relay does nothing, so instead of finding the problem, how hard would it be just to make an on/off switch

Quick Reply: Help overheating