2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Neon JERKING.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 PM
cheapez
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car idle fine now?

Also you can do the key dance trick like I told you. It will display the trouble code in the instrument cluster. P0325 for example.
Then you can search online to see what that code mean.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 AM
BrittanyLeigh

Did the key dance tonight and came up with a P0743 code which I've read is the torque coveter. Is this something my husband and I could fix by ourselves without dropping the whole transmission? And how expensive is this part? I guess I'm slightly confused on what part I need because I've seen people saying it's only 12 dollars and I saw a part online that was 130? Sorry for so many questions!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM
cheapez
Veteran

P0743 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical

It could be a problem to the harness to the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid, the TCC solenoid connector, or the TCC solenoid it self.

You could try to replace the harness, and the plug/connector to the TCC. It will fix the problem most of the time. The picture below show where the plug is (It is right behind the transmission dip stick tube on your car):

You don't have to fix this problem. It will not cause any trouble, but you get poor gas mileage.
It is a connector so it should cost you only a few bucks. It's usually cheaper if you buy online.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM
cheapez
Veteran

To replace this plug:
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the air box so you have enough room to work on this.
This plug is right behind the transmission dipstick tube.

Also check your transmission fluid level. The way you check your transmission fluid level is a little difference than check your engine oil level.
The engine has to be running when you check your transmission fluid level.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Vegas Mike

I fixed my P0743 problem yesterday so for a couple of days (until the next Senior Moment), I know more about that plug that I ever wanted to know.

I checked the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid with an ohmmeter and read 36 ohms, indicating to me the solenoid was fine. Checking the resistance of the plug showed an intermittent short, depending on how I wiggled the connector and attached wiring.

Another forum said that in 4 of 4 times, the plug had crud and crap in it which messed up the electrical connection, hence the P0743. I pulled that plug, sprayed it with brake cleaner and then immediately with compressed air to dry it. WD40 will make a good cleaner as well. In my case that didn't fix it, but..... I noticed that the wiring harness for the plug was a mess. I found over an inch of bare wire (copper exposed) of the two wires from the plug and of course the bare spots were next to each other and had shorted the wires together. I cut the wires about 4" from the plug (in the middle of some good insulation) and put some heat shrink tubing over the rest of the wires - both from the cut end down to the car's wiring harness and from the cut to the plug itself. Two butt splice connectors to rejoin the wiring and some ty-wraps and it was done. No more Check Engine Light and it will be smogged later today.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
BrittanyLeigh

Thank you everyone! Sounds like a simple enough task. And cheapez, I know how to check my transmission fluid! :P I will be playing around with this on Wednesday and will post updates!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
cheapez
Veteran

Originally Posted by Vegas Mike
I fixed my P0743 problem yesterday so for a couple of days (until the next Senior Moment), I know more about that plug that I ever wanted to know.

I checked the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid with an ohmmeter and read 36 ohms, indicating to me the solenoid was fine. Checking the resistance of the plug showed an intermittent short, depending on how I wiggled the connector and attached wiring.

Another forum said that in 4 of 4 times, the plug had crud and crap in it which messed up the electrical connection, hence the P0743. I pulled that plug, sprayed it with brake cleaner and then immediately with compressed air to dry it. WD40 will make a good cleaner as well. In my case that didn't fix it, but..... I noticed that the wiring harness for the plug was a mess. I found over an inch of bare wire (copper exposed) of the two wires from the plug and of course the bare spots were next to each other and had shorted the wires together. I cut the wires about 4" from the plug (in the middle of some good insulation) and put some heat shrink tubing over the rest of the wires - both from the cut end down to the car's wiring harness and from the cut to the plug itself. Two butt splice connectors to rejoin the wiring and some ty-wraps and it was done. No more Check Engine Light and it will be smogged later today.
Yes, first try to unplug the connector and clean it first.
Perhaps he can help you more with this, Brittany.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Vegas Mike

FYI, once the battery and battery tray was removed from the '95 Neon, access to this connector was quite easy.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

That picture looks like a REALLY old Chrysler trans, the 41TE has a solenoid body on the front.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 AM
cheapez
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparkyle
That picture looks like a REALLY old Chrysler trans, the 41TE has a solenoid body on the front.
This trans is from the car junkyard. It's on a SOHC Dodge Neon. Someone took the solenoid pack out.
2000 Dodge Neon is a 3 speeds so the the TCC solenoid plug should be behind that deep stick tube.
On a 4 speeds 41TE (2002-2005 Neon), it's built into the solenoid pack.

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon JERKING.