2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

rear end wiggles on ANY little bit of snow/ice and some bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
b00mSt1cK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end wiggles on ANY little bit of snow/ice and some bumps

i just bought a 2004 neon sxt and there is some snow on the roads in my city. If i am driving on a clean paved road and hit the littlest bit of slush or snow the back wheels seem to slide all over the place. ive never felt anything like it on such a small amount of snow. any other car would simply drive over it and you would never know. It doesnt seem to be the road conditions that is responsible for this sliding. I feel like i could drive over a decent sized loogie and the back end would slide around. its so noticable its the only thing i can focus on while driving because it seems like im going to lose control.

I really would appreciate any insights into this. thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: rear end wiggles on ANY little bit of snow/ice and some bumps

start with the easiest fixes first... do you have the same type of tires on the front as the rear? and are they evenly worn? what pressure are you running in your tires?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

dont drive on slicks durr get better tires that is the only thing it could be unless you are locking up the back tires or taking turns like an idiot

Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Yeah sounds like a traction issue to me...if it happened on completely dry pavement when you went around corners and such I would have a different opinion...but I would check tires first in your situation.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
kayakman
Veteran

Those 60 series tires do not like the snow and probably are worn Goodyear rubber,that are equal to black erasers, good for18,000 miles.
Because you live in the snow belt like me, I take my 15" wheels off and bought 4 steel rims ( 14" used from the junk yard) and installed the standard P175/70-14, but in 4 sbow tires. Doesn't look cool but it turns them into a little tank in snow. It is worth the expense and for the safety.
Hope this helps, had the same problem even turning left or right at an intersection.

Cheers Kayakman
Nova Scotia
2001 Chrysler Neon Lx

Old 02-26-2007, 09:42 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Mine does it on snow. I actually enjoy the *** end sliding. But thats probably because I can control pretty much all the time. I believe part of it is due to the rear not having near as much weight as the front, and probably also may be partly due to tread wear or tire pressure. It is almost like drifting (even though I know it is not), but the feeling is similar. But on just wet pavement or dry it will not break loose like that. I have a video of me doing basically what he's talking about...but I was trying to. HAHA. Just cause its kind of fun.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
b00mSt1cK

im not driving on slicks lol, nor am i taking turns like an idiot. it does it even just going straight.
its not that im actaully concerned about losing control or having trouble controlling the car, im a fine driver, its just that its annoying unless its intentional.

thanks for the help guys

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

what kinds of tires do you have on there and whats the tread like

Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 AM
neisg1
Veteran

Excessive toe-in on the rear wheels can cause the back end to dance back and forth on ice as each wheel tries to find it’s own path. I had this happen on my 95 neon after a bad wheel alignment, turned out the shops alignment machine was broken or out of calibration and they set the rear wheels with ¾” of toe-in. It was not drivable on ice at normal speeds.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:02 AM
b00mSt1cK

the tires are goodyear eagles with decent tread left, i dunno if those are the factory tires or what. i was just out on the road with a dusting of snow and the *** end just waves around behind me, not a full fishtail but just a wavy motion as i drive down the street.

Quick Reply: rear end wiggles on ANY little bit of snow/ice and some bumps