2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Messed around with the 4x4 shifter linkage today. Still can't figure out why my tcase clunks :\

Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Messed around with the 4x4 shifter linkage today. Still can't figure out why my tcase clunks :\
If it clunks when you shift into reverse, everytime that the tranny shifts, etc. and your ujoints, then your snap ring probably broke and caused the chain to fail (extra play - that's what causes the clunk). In extreme cases, they even clunk when driving and not shifting. Also check your tcase for cracks - they look like scratches oftentimes.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
If it clunks when you shift into reverse, everytime that the tranny shifts, etc. and your ujoints, then your snap ring probably broke and caused the chain to fail (extra play - that's what causes the clunk). In extreme cases, they even clunk when driving and not shifting. Also check your tcase for cracks - they look like scratches oftentimes.
Its a constant clunk clunk BANG when in 4x4. You can see the driveshaft trying to bind up when going really slow. Its not axle ujoints, driveshaft ujoint, snap ring is mint, double cardin joint is good, chain is tight, tcase is mint. I replaced the 4x4 fork pads in the tcase (they were really worn) and the 4x4 worked mint for a mile in both 4H and 4L and then something reajusted itself and started clunking again.

I've got an ongoing thread here and even a video of the noise if you would like to take a look. The more people the better! I'm out of ideas

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...se-issues.html

Old 05-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Overall I think your paint is better then mine haha
Pics really make this truck look nicer than it is. It is just an old work truck.

Originally Posted by Johnn123
Thats still a lot cheaper then trucks in worse shape would go for up here :-P

Looks good man, gonna mod it to what the other 1st gen cummins ya had was like?
I am planning to go bigger (not suspension, power) actually, but not for a while, I like it as is for now, and I need to get a manual tranny in there before any of the real fun can begin. I am trying to focus on building my jeep. And furnishing my house I bought a year ago...

Originally Posted by tincan57
^ Wombat's blue 231...........I like it.............nothing better than a good deal! I know you don't like names, but when I see it, I'll just call it 231. K.
Works for me.

@stewie I heard you changed your name but it looks like you didn't.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Pics really make this truck look nicer than it is. It is just an old work truck.

I am planning to go bigger (not suspension, power) actually, but not for a while, I like it as is for now, and I need to get a manual tranny in there before any of the real fun can begin. I am trying to focus on building my jeep. And furnishing my house I bought a year ago...

Works for me.

@stewie I heard you changed your name but it looks like you didn't.
I did, but had it changed back. The new name was just not doing it for me.....

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Wombat your one truck on the left side of your pic looks just like my friends 89 I borrowed, except he had a grille guard. Had a LA 318 and a 4 spd getrag. Great truck, plenty of power, dunno why people bash the LA's for not having power. That thing could move mountains. I pulled a fully loaded hay rack with it - only thing I had to watch was my temp gauge.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 AM
stewie01
Legend

Drove it!

Something else strange, but welcomed going on, seems I'm getting much more air out of the vents with AC on!!!

Last few years it's just blown out the bottom of the unit by the floor.

Cold enough to freeze the wifey!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Backed it out of the shop and found out that my tranny is stuck in reverse while my shifter will only move in neutral between the middle and left positions but won't go into any gear. No grinding either... I'm pissed. It doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it, are these NV4500HDs not that tough behind a powerful engine or what?

Edit: I can't move it into the right neutral position for the fifth gear/reverse rail...

Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Backed it out of the shop and found out that my tranny is stuck in reverse while my shifter will only move in neutral between the middle and left positions but won't go into any gear. No grinding either... I'm pissed. It doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it, are these NV4500HDs not that tough behind a powerful engine or what?

Edit: I can't move it into the right neutral position for the fifth gear/reverse rail...
Did you have it properly oiled?

Don't mean to sound like an ***, but I highly doubt these 5.2/5.9s are capable of destroying an NV4500.....(that was properly taken care of)

Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
Did you have it properly oiled?

Don't mean to sound like an ***, but I highly doubt these 5.2/5.9s are capable of destroying an NV4500.....(that was properly taken care of)
Yes it has plenty of lube in it, always used OEM mopar in it.

I agree with you 100%. I'd be surprised if I blew it up due to power. I know I can spin my tires any time I want to by just romping the throttle a little but I don't think that'd be enough to blow up a NV4500. I'd be more worried about pushing 6000RPM engine speed at highway speeds but once again I'd think it should be able to handle that too. Not like I'm putting out 500HP.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?