2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:37 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I've done that very thing in a few vehicles, and the glue lasted at best two years before the fabric started drooping again. I'll be curious to know how long yours holds up. Maybe fabric glue has improved over the years.
Interesting, I am sure with all the changes in climate WI goes through to that doesn't help.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, may have to give that a shot..... I think even bare cardboard would look better than it does now....
If it droops again Ill probably end up taking the foam off and wrapping it in vinyl. But I agree, the saggy droop looks awful.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discovered it is time to replace the thermostat AGAIN.

truck seems to love eating them lol. about once every couple years it wants a new tstat.

Suppose it's about that time again. Just gotta find where I put the cummins one.. Had a new cummins one somewhere that I bought then lost, and bought a napa in the mean time, then found the cummins one later on after the napa one had been used for a month or so lol and now the napa one is worn out and letting the truck get waaaay too hot before opening up, so time to put that cummins one in now.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

That's a bummer... the factory T'stat was still working when I changed it whilst doing the water pump and timing chain (163k)... put in a Stant, and would hope it will last as long as the factory issue.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, may have to give that a shot..... I think even bare cardboard would look better than it does now....
I did the wife's Neon... it was pretty straight forward... I have enough material left for my truck, but it is not bad enough to warrant doing at this point.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by Spillage
That's a bummer... the factory T'stat was still working when I changed it whilst doing the water pump and timing chain (163k)... put in a Stant, and would hope it will last as long as the factory issue.
At least on my truck it is in a stupid easy spot to replace it...you don't even need to pull the hose off the housing. It sits right on the top left front of the head right next to the valve cover.

3 bolts and lift up and you have full access to it. then just pop it loose with a screwdriver or pluck it out with pliars. sometimes it comes out easy with fingers, but sometimes it gets stuck in there...

then just set the new one in place and put those 3 bolts back down and done lol.

2nd gen 24v is the absolute easiest of all the cummins generations.

found the cummins tstat BTW! score! didn't want to buy another cause the cummins OEM one is an $80 part! (little more complex than your standard cheap t-stat like that napa one...when a cummins t-stat breaks, it breaks in the open position causing the engine to just never warm up..it will never allow the truck to overheat unlike the napa one)

Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
I did the wife's Neon... it was pretty straight forward... I have enough material left for my truck, but it is not bad enough to warrant doing at this point.
I would do mine, but the cardboard on mine is shot. The kid I bought my truck from did his own custom sunroof. It's cool that my truck has a sunroof in it, but he cut out a lot of the cardboard and my entire headliner sags down.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Replaced the tstat took all of 5 minutes.

no more getting towards the red before the tstat opens

stays right at 188* now.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:27 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub replacement, plus...

New hub took me less than I thought so I painted my grill and fog surroundings gloss black.

Name:  20150506_201020.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  166.4 KB

Soon to come is some major rust repair.

Here is the new shiny hub
Name:  20150506_174809.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  206.2 KB

Old 05-07-2015, 11:00 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Today I disassembled my AC System. I blew out the components with air and then put an AC System flush in there, then blew it out. After that, I replaced the orfice tube, and all of the seals. After that, I put a new AC Compressor on the truck (would have done the Drier too, but the company I got the parts from sent me the wrong one...), I put the old drier back on. I turned the AC on to MAX and filled it up with Refrigerant. I have AC now.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is replacing the seals? Parts???

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?