2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:35 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That piece is long gone from my truck, if it was ever there in the first place.

Looks great though. You did a good job. Tow hooks are a godsend when you need them.
Thanks my friend. Yeah I think most remove that valance for a bit of v irtual (why is this a swear word??) lift but I have two 29" truck horns behind it that need covering . The main motive for this project was when my fuel pump took a crap at work my initial plan was to get my dad to flat tow me home but there is nothing to yank on at all.

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Oxymoron, those look great! I'd love to have tow hooks on my truck. Any chance you'd fab up some more brackets and sell them?
I built these as I couldn't find any new / used Mopar sets anywhere since they are discontinued and let's face it, pretty rare. I know there is a dude selling a re-pop kit on eBay for $200 US which is the only place I could find. My pockets aren't that deep for something I'll look at more than use. I'd probably charge about that much if I ever mechanized a better process to build them, which I had thought about but doubt there is enough interest to make it worthwhile.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 AM
chevelle68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started the plenum, along with fuel injector kit and throttle body clean, job on Monday. Today is my third day. Going to wrap it up this morning. I will report back tonight with, hopefully, some good news and more info.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:53 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

Ok, all done. Took it for a short test drive and it idles and runs smoother. Hopefully in the coming months I will see less oil consumption. No leaks, noise, or codes either. The plenum gasket was not blown out but it was leaking a third of the way as if it was not sandwiched enough. Little pooling of oil was also present a third of the way. Got a new plate. All in all not a bad job but I did find three things that were a pita.
Removing a broken intake bolt, luckily it was only one and towards front of engine. Two, putting on the bypass hose. And replacing the valve cover grommets and their emission fittings. Finally, i washed it today.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Yeah, that hose is fun..... having the right tool for the job makes it easier. (booger picker)

Old 06-24-2015, 02:40 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Originally Posted by chevelle68
Ok, all done. Took it for a short test drive and it idles and runs smoother. Hopefully in the coming months I will see less oil consumption. No leaks, noise, or codes either. The plenum gasket was not blown out but it was leaking a third of the way as if it was not sandwiched enough. Little pooling of oil was also present a third of the way. Got a new plate. All in all not a bad job but I did find three things that were a pita.
Removing a broken intake bolt, luckily it was only one and towards front of engine. Two, putting on the bypass hose. And replacing the valve cover grommets and their emission fittings. Finally, i washed it today.
Make sure to run to the dealer and pick up a PVC valve as well, mine was broken and leaking oil into the intake as well. After my plenum and tune up, it doesn't drink oil at all! Project will pay itself off in 6 months ha

Old 06-24-2015, 10:05 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

It appears mine were ok until I decided to check them but they were so hard and brittle I could not take them off. So i destroyed them taking them off. After I was done for the yesterday went to dealer and purchased two grommets and the fittings, one was the pcv and the other just a plastic elbow. They we not part of plenum job but since I was there I decided to inspect them.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Didn't do today, but the badges for my recently painted ride did turn up.
Guess I know what's on the "to-do" list for the weekend.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Picked it up today. I had it undercoated to take care of the rust on my rocker panels and to help prevent future rust.

I'm going to be replacing my side view mirrors soon.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Went to the junkyard today to look for 1998-2001/2002 style powered mirrors and they didn't have any. All they had was either broken or missing. Guess someone beat me to them. Ended up ordering them off of Rock Auto.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Dieselweasle
Professional

Retinted my side windows again. Had to do it twice, first time was an epic fail, second go wasn't all that bad, now I won't feel like dying as soon as I get in the truck now and less blind while driving. Maybe now I can open my eyes while going down the highway lol

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?