2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Steering boxes in these are notorious for being sloppy, especially as old as they are. There is also a bushing in the base of the steering column that tends to go out, and also contributes to sloppy steering. (not to mention odd noises when you turn....) Turn the ignition to 'off' (not lock) and wiggle the steering wheel, should be able to see where the looseness is. (having two people makes it a LOT easier...)

Old 12-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Brettcunningham1989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Steering boxes in these are notorious for being sloppy, especially as old as they are. There is also a bushing in the base of the steering column that tends to go out, and also contributes to sloppy steering. (not to mention odd noises when you turn....) Turn the ignition to 'off' (not lock) and wiggle the steering wheel, should be able to see where the looseness is. (having two people makes it a LOT easier...)
hmmmmm. I'll look into that. I replaced the gearbox when I did the rest of the steering stuff. Thanks for the tip on how to check that out.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The replacements from the parts store are sometimes worse than what you are replacing..... Only sure way to get a better box, is go with a redhead, or borgeson box. There are rumors of a 'blue-top' box as well, but, they are relatively new on the scene, and I don't really know much about 'em.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Brettcunningham1989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The replacements from the parts store are sometimes worse than what you are replacing..... Only sure way to get a better box, is go with a redhead, or borgeson box. There are rumors of a 'blue-top' box as well, but, they are relatively new on the scene, and I don't really know much about 'em.
the box I got was bbb industries from rock auto. Any thoughts on them?

Old 12-10-2020, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Never heard of 'em. What I find on the internet isn't very flattering though.... but, that really doesn't come as much of a surprise, the folks that are happy with 'em, don't generally post as such.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:12 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettcunningham1989
haha yea it was alot. The alignment was the very last thing that was done so it's all good. I checked out everything underneath and there is no play left in it that I could find. For bleeding the pump, it took time. Filled the reservoir with fluid and turned the wheel 90 degrees from center both directions, slowly, until almost all the fluid was gone from the reservoir. Repeat this until fluid stops disappearing from the reservoir. At this point slowly go from lock to lock and pay attention to the fluid level. After doing all this you should be good to go. I didnt have to use the vacuum pump. I could be wrong but I thought that was only to make sure there were no leaks. Right or wrong I dont know but I haven't had any problems.
Thanks, I've done that a dozen times already. Second Redhead, third fluid flush, new hoses, etc, etc. But it seems better as of late and all I did was tap on one of the hoses so who knows. Gonna try a vacuum pump next.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:30 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I changed the ball joints a couple months ago and noticed that the driver side unit bearing was about due to be changed also. It just felt loose, but no slop or noise. Shortly after that I wrecked a dump truck and broke my ankle, so everything was put off for a while.
After about 3 weeks I was to the point I could drive again and hit a deer first trip out in my Volkswagen, which made this beast my daily driver again.
Started getting a little shimmy a couple weeks ago. Last week started hearing a slight howl that sounded like the rear diff starting to act up. Just finished changing the passenger side bearing, and I think I found my howl.
It's very rough and makes a lot of noise just spinning by hand. Glad I decided to change them both. Now to go thaw out a little so I can get the drivers side changed.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did the rotors come with the bearings? If so, how much were they?

Old 12-30-2020, 11:19 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Couldn't you upgrade to the newer style rotors?

Old 12-30-2020, 11:58 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No, I bought them separately. The bearings just came with new studs and since I didn't know how old any of the brake stuff was i decided to just go new. I've driven this truck for close to 10 years with very little maintenance needed. I changed the rear brakes about a year ago because someone else driving it forgot to release the parking brake and got it hot enough to turn the rear hub bearings blue.

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Couldn't you upgrade to the newer style rotors?
Guess I should have researched more because I didn't know there was a newer style. I just picked up what was available at a Napa close by.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?