2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 12:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
Guess I should have researched more because I didn't know there was a newer style. I just picked up what was available at a Napa close by.
I'm unsure on if the 99 and up have a bigger rotor but if they don't you could have used the 99 needing and rotor which will just slip off instead of being pressed on.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:51 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'm unsure on if the 99 and up have a bigger rotor but if they don't you could have used the 99 needing and rotor which will just slip off instead of being pressed on.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know any of the 2nd gens went to outboard rotors. Just looked at Napa's website and the newer style is 12.850" diameter versus the older one at 12.500" diameter. Now lets see if I can remember that the next time I do the front brakes.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
Thanks for the info. I didn't know any of the 2nd gens went to outboard rotors. Just looked at Napa's website and the newer style is 12.850" diameter versus the older one at 12.500" diameter. Now lets see if I can remember that the next time I do the front brakes.
Yeah when they went to dual piston calibers (99) they went to slip on rotors

Old 12-31-2020, 01:55 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I got back to the visors that I stripped down when I pulled the headliner to recover that.

Below is a series of pictures of how I installed the headliner fabric on the visors.
After filing any bruising and sharp edges from the plastic.
I cut a section of headliner material a couple of inches bigger than that needed to wrap the visor.
I located the corners of the mirror pocket and cut an opening... tucked the flaps behind the mirror and snapped it into place.
I used a dull paint scraper to pry a gap between the halves, then used a coffee stir stick to push the fabric in between the teeth... I worked sections of an inch or so at a time.
When at the ends I trimmed the excess to leave about an inch to tuck in... by the time the material rolls around the edge, there’s maybe only a half inch that actually goes inside.
Once at the halfway point (one face done), I trimmed around the mount and folded the fabric onto the other side, and trimmed to the inch over mark.
I pulled a little tension on the fabric and repeated the pry and tuck process... if there’s too much excess it gets difficult to get it tucked in, so trim a little more off if needed, but don’t leave yourself short.
When done, I rolled the fabric edge under around the mount and tucked in the last bit.
At the other end I felt for the pin location and sliced an opening... the edges are then tucked in... I took a little too much out which made it difficult to get it tucked in enough (I may redo it because of this... we’ll see how the other one turns out).

The following users liked this post:
frankie_b_jr (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:24 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Here’s some more pictures just for good measure

The following users liked this post:
frankie_b_jr (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Spillage
Here’s some more pictures just for good measure

A+ job seriously!! You have more patience then me when it comes to upholstery

Old 12-31-2020, 02:45 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Here’s a recap of the disassembly...

Old 12-31-2020, 02:54 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

A+ job seriously!! You have more patience then me when it comes to upholstery
It was surprisingly easy once I worked out the process... the tip is; go slow, take your time... and don’t trim too much too early.
The areas that pose the greatest difficulty are around the mounts... but again, if you have the material to work with, it’s not that bad.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Spillage
It was surprisingly easy once I worked out the process... the tip is; go slow, take your time... and don’t trim too much too early.
The areas that pose the greatest difficulty are around the mounts... but again, if you have the material to work with, it’s not that bad.
Does the mounting base of the mirror (where the 3 screws go) come off? I want to put 3rd gen visors in so they extend. I start out slow but then always rush because if I leave upholstery sit overnight and get up the next day it always gets dirty

Old 12-31-2020, 06:15 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Does the mounting base of the mirror (where the 3 screws go) come off? I want to put 3rd gen visors in so they extend. I start out slow but then always rush because if I leave upholstery sit overnight and get up the next day it always gets dirty
I’ll take a look and report back tomorrow.

Yup, I probably wouldn’t take on an upholstery job right after doing a timing chain.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?