2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replaced the rear main on my truck. Hell, it's not half as difficult as people make it out to be. Learned a trick from the local engine shop to use 3M Clear Silicone Caulk @ $3.50/tube rather than $30 Anerobic Sealant to seal the edges. He stands by what he says since he's been doing it that way for 15 year in building racing engines.

I'm also partially done refurbishing my starter. Got the parts ordered and hope they're here in a couple of days. I'll be writing up a DIY for it.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Replaced the rear main on my truck. Hell, it's not half as difficult as people make it out to be. Learned a trick from the local engine shop to use 3M Clear Silicone Caulk @ $3.50/tube rather than $30 Anerobic Sealant to seal the edges. .
really? for the main cap?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:42 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just ordered my remote start for the winter ! ! cant wait , hope it will help my ankles because they hurt more when its cold ! http://www.amazon.com/Viper-5301-Res.../dp/B00386XMBC

Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Not so much as what I did to my truck as what I found...
While looking for child seat anchors for my niece's car seat this evening, I found the following items under the back seat lodged behind carpet:
A red "Count on me to be drug free" ruler
a quarter
a metal spoon (wtf right?)
some gas receipts
some sort of lock
and....

A multitool with case!

Damn, I love Henderson.

Funny thing is that, you don't see anything unless you hit it with a bright flashlight.

Gonna stick my rearview mirror up Monday night....damn 12yr old Dodge mirror adhesive!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 AM
AshleyBrooks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. Yeah its amazing what you can find..I know i can spot clean my truck and still find random stuff hidden lol

Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

So you're a couple hours north of me.
Uwharrie is about 8 miles outside of Troy on highway 109. It is connected to Badin lake.
It is a national forest and when someone talks about going there in a 4x4 or a four wheeler then they are hitting the OHV trails and it's a lot of fun just to ride around on the trails all day.
Some of those trails are more for jeeps than full size trucks so a little mirror folding will happen.
It is also a good idea to make some skid plates before going if you're going to hit the two toughest trails.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Replaced the rear main on my truck. Hell, it's not half as difficult as people make it out to be. Learned a trick from the local engine shop to use 3M Clear Silicone Caulk @ $3.50/tube rather than $30 Anerobic Sealant to seal the edges. He stands by what he says since he's been doing it that way for 15 year in building racing engines.

I'm also partially done refurbishing my starter. Got the parts ordered and hope they're here in a couple of days. I'll be writing up a DIY for it.
really? for the main cap?
Yep. He explained to run a fine bead along the beveled edges of the main cap, pop it in place, and tighten it down. When I asked how long to let it dry, he stated that it would be good to go by the time I got everything buttoned up. Since I tend to err on the side of caution, I'll let it sit for 24 hours before adding oil.

I trust what he says since he has been building race engines for 15+ years and follows this suggestion on every engine. He also builds/refurbishes industrial engines used in the oil patches.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM
AshleyBrooks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sheriff-- Sounds fun, let me get my truck driving like its supposed to and I may come out there sometime, it sounds like alot of fun..I havent done much trail riding, its always been playing in the mud or creek/river riding

Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I. Hate. Rearview. Mirrors.
When trying to put down the stuff for the adhesive down for my mirror mount, I some how managed to inadvertatly switch on the wipers, effectively removing my outline on the outside of the windshield.
Follow my example, don't use dry erase marker and don't bump the wipers.
I spent a good 5-10 minutes playing with a puzzle trying to match up a bubble to a small chunk of gunk left by the old adhesive.
That damn thing better work.

I am also thinking that I need a new battery.
Went to start her up this morning and guess what? Click click click.
Son of a ~!
She started last night, reluctantly, but she started.
This morning had to do a 75 amp engine start from our battery charger. Two shots and it was up and running.
Me thinks 930 cranking amps with 750 cold cranking amps and 135 reserve minutes should be good.
But damn, $90 for a battery.....

I also pulled the no 8 plug and found gray ash deposits, hardened. What does that mean?
My chart says too much oil or gas additive.

Also took this picture:

Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Go to walmart for a battery. The Everstart Maxx is 1000 cranking amps/875 cold cranking amps for something like 70 bucks. I can't remember what the warranty is on it, but it's a pretty good one too.
I've had mine for 4 or 5 years and it's still going strong even with all the times I accidentally shorted wires out on the truck.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?