2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call a Polaris dealer, or post what it is and I'll call mine. Personally, I would just throw regular ATF in it as that's what my 325 magnum has in its variable trans.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

that's what my bike is, 01 325 magnum.... so you just use atf in it? I'll try that then. Thanks Laramie!

Funny thing, I was bitchin to the wife about that forum not having an easy answer such as fluid type, so I said 'you watch, I'll ask on DF and get an answer much quicker'.... well, 5 mins from my post time I have the answer! I love this place!

so hows your magnum run? lemme guess, it's slower than death right? mine goes good in the mud and whatnot, but take er on the road and it falls on its face. I think I got passed by an old lady on a scooter once lol

Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Funny. Magnum truck owners talking about Magnum ATVs...

Anyways...

Mine doesn't have a speed issue that I've noticed at least. It's a 2001(?) 325 2X4. First thing I did when i got it was open the intake up and the exhaust and swapped carbs with a 400(?) magnum. It too is sitting in the shop awaiting some repairs as well since I was moving cattle with it and had a 2500 pound cow come down on the front of it taking the racks off and the head lights. When I opened up the exhaust, the "header" pipe gets hot enough to glow and has melted the plastic side off of it a little bit. Most of my toys are a work in progress if you hadn't noticed.

Oh, it runs circles around our 2006 anniversary edition Ranger which has a 600cc mag motor in it. Our 98 Yamaha Grizzly can keep up with it, but it's a 650cc.... We also have a 300cc Kawasaki 5 speed that keeps up with it as well. Just barely doesn't have enough oomph to get around the polaris on a wot run.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

hmmm, maybe I'll try some of those tips.... mine is in need of some tlc, needs all new ujoints, and a front hub, the AWD wires are broke off right at the coil... fyi, 3wd is no better than 2 lol... I bought it from a young fella I used to work with, who rode it hard and put it away wet... My father in law has an 02, identical bike but his is in mint condition... His is a little faster than mine, stock tires vs mudlites, and his just generally works a little better, but it's still the slowest of the bunch usually...

they both seem like they aren't revving as high as they should be, almost like they need a little more throttle travel or something.... I just assume it's the little 325 in them

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Polaris Synthetic Gear Case Lube
Same thing as a generic ATF.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

thanks for the link dakota! I'm glad it has the fluid capacities there as well. However, under transmission it says to use polaris synthetic gearcase lube.... I'm not payin out the *** for oil for this old girl lol I'm wonderin what can be substituted for the popo brand.... laramie runs atf in his so I'll prolly try that. I know my front hubs call for polaris demand drive fluid or somethin, but I have atf in them already

edit: just saw yer post laramie, atf it is!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

The thing you have to remember about Polaris, well any company that has its own fluids.... They will tell you to use this product and only this product. Polaris is overly bad about it compared to the rest. If you were dealing with warranties, then I would say you need to use what they recommend. I remember in the 90's, my Granddad would go to the dealer and pick up Polaris 2 cycle oil, gear lubes, even their gas treatments up until the point that the warranty ran out and then we changed everything.

It is borderline ridiculous, but everyone does it.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

ya I haven't owned many things that are still under warranty, and I don't think I've EVER bought any manufacturer branded products.... such a waste of money, paying for the brand name on the jug that's gonna get tossed in the garbage anyways

on a side note, my dad swears by Mopar oil for his Ram and Dakota lol... he buys cases of it at a time, and whenever I'm down in his garage workin on somethin, his collection drops by a quart He also swears by Mopar penetrating fluid, says its the best stuff he's ever used, and I have to agree

Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Well I filled that trans with atf and took er for a little spin. It already sounds a thousand times better, maybe just a hint of whining in it, but that may be how it always sounded.... That's one thing I can scratch off my list of things it needs fixed, whew glad I didn't cook the tranny . I'm gonna drain it and flush it again just to be sure I got all the gunk out of it.

Amazing what a little bit of lubrication will do eh?

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread