2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Needs a turbo.
Might as well buy an EcoBoost....

Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
Might as well buy an EcoBoost....
Yes, but that's a V6. We're talking about a V8, which always sounds better than a 6.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but that's a V6. We're talking about a V8, which always sounds better than a 6.
Eh.

Twin Turbo'd V6......

I just think the 6.4L Ram Hemi is going to be a marketing gimmick more than anything.

They say it's designed to handle "truck" abuse and still offer great MPGs.

I'll bet most buyers look at the power numbers alone, which aren't much better than a 5.7L.

Than you gotta wonder how many $$$$ the 6.4 will add to the price tag.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
Eh.

Twin Turbo'd V6......

I just think the 6.4L Ram Hemi is going to be a marketing gimmick more than anything.

They say it's designed to handle "truck" abuse and still offer great MPGs.

I'll bet most buyers look at the power numbers alone, which aren't much better than a 5.7L.

Than you gotta wonder how many $$$$ the 6.4 will add to the price tag.
I agree on all of it. It also makes the 6.4 in the Chally and Charger less...what's the word for it...awesome. (I'm tired, lol)

And even if it's twin turbo, it would still sound out of place on a truck, especially a full sized truck.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven a ford 150 with the ecoboost motor and its a dog, of course it did have 35's. But was slow as hell and only averaged about 16mpg. Not worth it.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

A guy I know said that about the 318 vs the 360 years ago.

He didn't know about blown plenums.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

I'm getting my plenum fixed next week along with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and cloyes timing set.

I wanna see this difference you guys are talking about.

Then two weeks later my headers and high flow cat is going on.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
I'm getting my plenum fixed next week along with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and cloyes timing set.

I wanna see this difference you guys are talking about.

Then two weeks later my headers and high flow cat is going on.
Why dont you do the work yourself and save yourself a few bucks. Its all relatively easy to do.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I guess I crossed the line on the polluting thing, but I just don't get it. I know why you have to do it but is there not a way to make it cleaner and still get the big numbers? What happens if your smoke screen causes an accident who's at fault?
Yes, but both methods are very expensive.

1. add a supercharger and bypass valve to make boost at idle and enough boost to help clear the smoke till the twins catch up and take over.

2. Nitrous. fog nitrous during turbo spool and heavy shots of nitrous during full throttle runs will clear smoke completely.

3. newer common rail engine will reduce smoke...Common rails can make big power without the idle haze, and can reduce smoke output on full throttle runs because their injection events are 100% electronic controlled, so they can push more fuel from a cleaner injector and more precisely control the fueling event and fire fuel multiple times in a piston cycle, as well as have precise timing control without mechanical limitations. My injection pump is very mechanically limited to how much timing I can run..

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Bud you need to see just what these guys put out for smoke up here, I think there is a law in place for the smoke here it must clear/dissipate by so many seconds.

@ Stewie

It might not be a rear ender it could be a head on collision as some of the hwy is only two lane, and it is a mountain hwy, rock wall to one side and a huge drop off to the other side.
There are similar laws here. Trust me, the truck does not smoke like that while I'm driving...That pic was just a full power full throttle run while power braking it...

most of the time I have the power turned down and use light pedal acceleration to keep any smoke output to a bare minimum...

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
now that is a smart law, around here there aren't too many diesels smoking big clouds, except for the ambulance, it's like a octopus... But pretty much the law here says as long as you don't smoke the cops out of their beehive and dont make em deaf you're okay...

Personally I see no need to turn a engine up so far that it will smoke big, a ilttle smoke is understandable. I see these people with IDIs turn the fuel up so high wihtout a turbo just so they can make smoke - that's ridiculous. Theres not much power to be gained by turning these pumps up without a turbo, and it's also a waste of fuel. one of our IDI guys put on two really small turbos with dual exhaust, one turbo per bank, but single intake, it almost never smoked and had no problem reaching 600+hp. I'm not sharing that to say the IDI is great (which it is in its own world), but just to prove you CAN make good power without all that smoke.
any diesel can make a lot of smoke when it's making big power...

my little 5.9L is making semi truck power and torque with 1/2 the engine displacement. of course it's going to smoke!!!

Oh, yeah. Suuuuuure.

We all know you just wanted to make it haze like a Cummins.

haze only comes from a truck with large injectors...or bad injectors...

before my power modifications, my truck used to never smoke, never haze. but it was a gutless wonder back then that a 360 could have passed...

Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i found the $30 i misplaced last week in the clean set of jeans i put on today. guess it must have gone through the wash. i was starting to think i had spent it. i also think a cricket found its way into my room. he has been doing an awful lot of chirping today.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread