2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Drive within the capabilities of both yourself and your vehicle, and you'll be fine.
Drive like a d-h, and all bets are off.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been super surprised at how well my Ram handles the wet with the tires that are on it. I don't push it, but there is no float, no spin, nothing. It's great.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^Same here. But then with 285's, 3:55's, and a 318, I don't really know what wheel spin is...in the Dodge anyway.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by kejobe
^^^Same here. But then with 285's, 3:55's, and a 318, I don't really know what wheel spin is...in the Dodge anyway.
Really?

I have no trouble spinning my tires, 265's, 3:55, and 318.

In other news, I'm getting ready to send my termination notice to my business partner (who happens to be my dad). I've owned and worked for my own mechanical repair business 2yrs 6mo now. Mostly agricultural and residential, with some automotive regular maintenance, and the adventures with the dodge... I've decided it's only right for me to do that, I'm switching from careers to a life now (I'll explain). I'm putting my life together bit by bit now, and I'm really happy.

Most people refer to their job as a 'career'; sales rep, mechanic, nurse, you name it. In racing, we call it our life, not a career, because, it quite simply is a way of life. We live and breathe racing, and there's no time for anything else. But what I've found out is, they wouldn't want it to be just a 'career'. They've got close friends in the industry, it's their life, their used to it and comfortable with it, and they pour their life into it, every last bit.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Really?

I have no trouble spinning my tires, 265's, 3:55, and 318.
Yup. Really. I can punch it from a stop and it'll just go, no spin or very little. Even when it's wet out. Sometimes I can get it to power brake though, but not all the time.

I think a lot of it has to do with I know it was used for towing a lot before I got it and now I work the hell out of it. It's probably just a little tired. Still gets the job done though, so I can't argue.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

While we're on the subject of spinning....my 76 is older than all your trucks and it will one tire fire at the drop of a hat. Don't even need to power brake it either, hold the brake just enough to get the RPMs up, drop the hammer while getting off the brake. Boom. Instant tire smoke.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

on dry pavement i can take off from a dead stop, and the truck will put me in my seat. however, when the roads are wet, and i try to get on it.... forget it. tires instantly light up! i have zero control over it. even if im doing 30-35 mph, and put it to the floor. instant rolling burnout!

ill be glad once i get my trac lok from merc, and get it installed! itll help in the winter too!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 PM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1978 I bought a 1976 Buick landau that had spent the night in a pine tree. It was a repairable wreck and I was in the business of fixing repairable wrecks in my spare time. My main job through the summer was working for a roofing company.

A businessman had been trying to get back home to St. Paul Minnesota and fell asleep on the highway just outside my little Wisconsin town and ended up stuck quite a ways up a pine tree after leaving the road.

He was fine until he tried to get outof the car. Climbing out the window caused the car to shift enough it fell out of the tree, he broke his leg but the car only had minor damage on the passengers side front corner. It was an easy fix,

I bought it and after fixing it I decided I liked it so much I'd just keep it. It had the 231ci V6 and the turbo-hydro 350 automatic transmission. It was all I could do to get the tires to spin on that buggy, even in snow.

Later that year one of my work buddies decided he liked my car so much he bought one just like it. His was Blue and mine was Burgundy. Both had the little V6 engine and three speed automatic tyranny but he could back out of his garage and burn the tires all the way down the alley no problem.

I did a lot of things trying to get my car to do that but never did achieve it.

Several years later I sold the car to a fellow in town who dropped a 350ci V8 in. He had problems getting the car to move and not having the tires spin.

Last edited by tired old man; 11-06-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Jigabop
Champion

tire spin? no problem...lol

35's 4.10s and a 359ci L6

no one tire fire here...posi rear

no need to powerbrake either. however if you want a nice long rolling smoke show...get up to about 35mph in 4th gear, hold the brake and throttle down and give it a couple seconds...boost starts building and tires start screamin as you lay 2 nice long trails of rubber.

wet pavement it will break them loose at ANY speed...I can be going 75mph on the freeway, turn the power up and put the skinny to the floor and the rear end breaks loose.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:51 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Jigabop
tire spin? no problem...lol

35's 4.10s and a 359ci L6

no one tire fire here...posi rear

no need to powerbrake either. however if you want a nice long rolling smoke show...get up to about 35mph in 4th gear, hold the brake and throttle down and give it a couple seconds...boost starts building and tires start screamin as you lay 2 nice long trails of rubber.

wet pavement it will break them loose at ANY speed...I can be going 75mph on the freeway, turn the power up and put the skinny to the floor and the rear end breaks loose.
Must be such a sh1tty life for you, Jugs....

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread