2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found that the best way to get your sleeping back on track is to simply pull a 24-48 hour run in which no sleeping occurs. Once you do that, you can pick what time you want to sleep... Set an alarm and make sure that you don't sleep more than 8 hours. Keep active the next day. This doesn't mean active as in eyes open and fingers moving on a computer. Go outside and do whatever. Even if you have to convince yourself that "the internet was down today so I thought I would come outside".

It's harder than it looks I know. Hell, I make my living in front of a computer and it's easy to get into a slum where you're not going to sleep until 3-4 in the morning and getting up at 8 the next day only to do it all over again.

Hell, some people might know this, but I made it through the winter on stimulates, and constant movement. I was averaging around 2-3 hours of sleep at a night. Walking zombie was an understatement at that point. BUT, it's the only way I could figure out how to work 80 hours a week and still handle 16 hours of classes.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigslick050
Stupid Donks.....
You're a poker player?

I can't sleep right no more...since I quit smoking back in April. Should I start taking sleeping pills or something?
No sleeping pills. They'll work for as long as you take them, but you'll develop a dependency very quickly and be in even worse shape.

You can use melatonin, one 3mg. tablet half an hour before bed, but do not use it for more than two weeks or you'll be risking dependency. Just about any "bedtime" herbal tea containing valerian and/or scullcap (scutellaria lateriflora) and chamomile will help tremendously, and can be used long term. But if you use one with valerian (smells like sweaty gym socks) in it and find yourself after a few weeks feeling groggy most of the day, find another without valerian in it.

The most important thing: sleep hygiene. You can google it for more information, but basically it means getting up at the same time every day including weekends, keeping the lights low, the television off, and getting out from in front of the computer for the last two hours before bed. If you're a poker player, avoid playing for three hours before bed. (It will affect your win rate if part of your plan is shredding sleepy eurotards, but playing when you're fatigued is a bad idea for you, too.)

Oh, and if you have a caffeine habit, avoid caffeine for the last ten hours before bed to allow it time to clear your system. Some folks can get by allowing just six hours, others require ten -- for the time being, make it ten to get surer results. Don't go cold turkey if it's a long-term habit. There are some shrinks about who actually want to make caffeine withdrawal an official psychiatric disorder (which is pushing things, I think to make a buck) but going cold turkey is that rough and not a good idea.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
BAHAHAHAH!!!!!

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/1917212167.html

LEMONHEAD CAR MUST SEE - $10000 (NEW ORLEANS)

Date: 2010-08-24, 4:52PM CDT
Reply to: sale-57nhw-1917212167@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

VERY CLEAN... 26'' IN RIMS... CUSTOM EVERYTHIN 504-416-2040 ASK 4 ROCKY IF YOUR SERIOUIS
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1917212167

Honestly, I will give a Donk owner a Thumbs Up every time. They are creative, and most of them do their own work, unlike many Check Writers in the car hobby.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You're a poker player?
Texas Hold'Em every week with the fellas...and I damn good too!

But hey I do appreciate ya'll putting up some words of advice for me, and I think I will try a few different things and try to change some habits to see if it helps. My sleep schedule is really screwing with me trying to start a business ans most general aspects of normal living. So I did not sleep last night and will probably make until midnight tonight and clunk out...or I will try anyways...

So, take it easy on caffeine and booze, more exercise during the day, and cut out the computer/tv crap an hour or two before I plan on hitting the hay...Am I missing anything else? I think I wanna stay away from pills and sleeping 'aids' at all costs. I don't believe in 'man made pills or drugs'

Well tonight should go better, and hopefully over long term I can get back to a regular schedule. Thanks again feller's!

Hey VW&D I guess you would also appreciate the pink 'sweet 'n low' monte carlo too right? HAha, it's cool man...I see where your coming from with the creativity and craftsmanship, but I just think the idea of Donks in generally is retarded. What is the purpose of lifting a car 1 or 2 feet, putting it on 28 inch wheels with one inch of tire and let it ride and handle like dog-doo. You could call me racist, but 'normal' people don't do that crap to vehicles...it just don't make sense. End of Rant

Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Hey VW&D I guess you would also appreciate the pink 'sweet 'n low' monte carlo too right? HAha, it's cool man...I see where your coming from with the creativity and craftsmanship, but I just think the idea of Donks in generally is retarded. What is the purpose of lifting a car 1 or 2 feet, putting it on 28 inch wheels with one inch of tire and let it ride and handle like dog-doo. You could call me racist, but 'normal' people don't do that crap to vehicles...it just don't make sense. End of Rant
It beats the hell out of what the guys do in the classic VW world with the "Hoodride" concept (just Google that), or the guys who slam the car super low and then go for extreme negative camber. Remember about 20 years ago, when the "in" thing people did was run super fat but small diameter tires & rims on their cars? That didn't even last two years.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Texas Hold'Em every week with the fellas...and I damn good too!
Texas Hold 'Em is for donks. Try Pot Limit Omaha for some real fun! (But learn it well before you take on folks who know how to play it -- or you'll bust your bankroll quickly.)

I think I wanna stay away from pills and sleeping 'aids' at all costs. I don't believe in 'man made pills or drugs'
The herbal teas I recommended aren't man-made, just conveniently processed so you don't have to grow your own.

Oh yeah: It takes a month or more to establish a new routine so be careful not to sabotage yourself with a late night here and there, and it takes as long as six months for the body to fully adapt to a new circadian rhythm. In the interim you'll likely encounter sleepiness when you want to be awake and some insomnia when you want to be asleep. Just be sure to always get up at the same time each day and tough it out. It takes just a couple of days of screwing up to leave you starting all over again.

What is the purpose of lifting a car 1 or 2 feet, putting it on 28 inch wheels with one inch of tire and let it ride and handle like dog-doo.
I see a lot of those around here. Low riders, too. Then again, I saw some clown trying to do a brake-stand in an Astro van yesterday, and he managed only a slow weak spin. I don't understand the point of any of it. Especially brake standing without a proper line lock and for any reason except to prep for a quarter-mile run -- look at me look at me! I can haz blowed tranzmishunz! Two hundred bucks worth of line lock kit is a helluva lot cheaper than two grand worth of fried transmission.

On the other hand, I don't understand the point of "mudding" just to be doing it. When I get off road my goal is to get deep into the wilderness, not deep into a mud puddle. But some guys just love dorking around in the mud a few feet off the side of the road and I'll not fault them for that. Most of the time, anyway.

So, ya know, to each his own.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser

On the other hand, I don't understand the point of "mudding" just to be doing it. When I get off road my goal is to get deep into the wilderness, not deep into a mud puddle. But some guys just love dorking around in the mud a few feet off the side of the road and I'll not fault them for that. Most of the time, anyway.

So, ya know, to each his own.

Exactly!!! To each his own.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Remember about 20 years ago, when the "in" thing people did was run super fat but small diameter tires & rims on their cars? That didn't even last two years.
No not really, I was still in diapers around that time... LMAO. But yeah I get what your saying. And more to point I agree with the fact that everyone has there own way of doing things. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. But certainly we can all agree that $hit that ain't built correctly is more or less junk.

UnregisteredUser > Look at the above post, we have some serious mud slingers around this neck of the woods! Someone might put a boot put your **** though your internet connection for saying something like that! lol

BTW I do play Omaha, five card draw, seven card stud. Just not as much as I do No limit Hold 'Em. I even play bowling poker every tuesday night at the leagues! (one card for spare, two for strike, can hold upto seven cards, best five card hand wins, jokers wild)

And home-grown is best... trust me it is fresher and tastier that way
But regular store bought stuff is okay...haha

Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

UnregisteredUser > Look at the above post, we have some serious mud slingers around this neck of the woods! Someone might put a boot put your **** though your internet connection for saying something like that! lol
And if their skin's that thin they won't stand half a chance!

Who am I to argue if a guy wants to tear his truck up in a way that doesn't harm anyone else? It's all good.

BTW I do play Omaha, five card draw, seven card stud. Just not as much as I do No limit Hold 'Em.
I found that once I got my head wrapped around PLO I just couldn't play NLHE any more. I can stack off the donks left and right, but it bores the stuffing right out of me. But, again, to each his own. I'm not knocking anyone at all, just promoting my favorite poker game.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 AM
SplatSTi
Professional

Diet Update: 60 lbs lost so far

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread