2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Only if the guards had some real training...... most of the rent-a-cops I have seen would start runnin' if they saw someone with a gun....
But that brings up an argument for what school levels (Elementary, Middle, High, etc...) actually need an armed officer at the school? After yesterday Elementary is on that list.

Here in Grayson County, Va the High School has a Deputy Sheriff "Resource Officer", he patrols the High & Middle School, I think, but the Middle School is right next to the High School. As far as I know the Elementary School doesn't have a Resource Officer, at least not on a regular basis.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said, ALL schools everywhere from elementary to high schools should have a trained armed man or woman at every school. The signs are out there, started with columbine and now this years later. Something should have been done long ago.

With all the money the education system gets and uses, surely they can find something to cut in order to make schools safer for kids from brainless psychopaths.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Nereaga
Like I said, ALL schools everywhere from elementary to high schools should have a trained armed man or woman at every school. The signs are out there, started with columbine and now this years later. Something should have been done long ago.

With all the money the education system gets and uses, surely they can find something to cut in order to make schools safer for kids from brainless psychopaths.
And that may very well help, but in this case the School Staff new the guy as a teacher's son, so they didn't question his being there, so an armed officer/guard in this case may have not been able to completely stop the attack.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Nereaga
Captain

Making anyone enter the building go through a metal detector would have. Along with a trained professional, as soon as that kid reaches for his gun, he would have already been suppressed... Don't care if he would have been killed, better than the 27 that did instead of that sick bastard

Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My high school had two Sheriffs deputies there all the time, they were resource officers. They went through the police academy and were real deputies and the whole time I was in high school they broke up a few fights but that's all they had to deal with. One of them ran for Sheriff and he got the job, I'm sure a large portion of the vote came from people that went to my high school and knew him (he got my vote). They are a good deterrent for people that want to do something stupid (violent).
As far as guarding the entrance to the school, that would require a force of at least 100 men because my high school is pretty big. The school has a lot of ways to get into it undetected. I know you can get in undetected because I got out undetected a few times.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 12-15-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Nereaga
Captain

While kids are in school, all doors are locked from leaving and entering. One way in and out. Through detectors and all while a armed trained professional is on site at all times. Not a local deputy, a trained professional.

With a lot of things, it only takes one to ruin it for eveyone. Not saying that this would ever happen but it is what I would do to try to help this from happening again.

Last edited by Nereaga; 12-15-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
stewie01
Legend

But is locking the doors while students are in class legal/safe? Longshot but what if a fire broke out, if the doors are locked and only one way in/out it would be much harder to get students out safely and in a timely manner.

I do agree that schools could use metal detectors at every entrance, but along with those you need as you said, trained professionals to enforce the detectors. And trained professionals probably cost more then Resource Officers from the Sheriff's Dept, not to mention the cost of each metal detector.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nereaga
While kids are in school, all doors are locked from leaving and entering. One way in and out. Through detectors and all while a armed trained professional is on site at all times. Not a local deputy, a trained professional.
The first time one child dies in a school fire because all the doors were locked, that will go right out the window.

Our school system isn't that good to begin with. Trying to extract enough money out their budgets that they already complain about would be difficult, at best. Schools here have already cut programs that I thought should be something that was higher priority than some of those they left in place..... Life skills courses for instance.... how to do a household budget, balance a checkbook, etc... All that is gone, but, football, and other sports are still there...... seems we have our priorities a tad mixed up.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Nereaga
Captain

Stewie- I'm sure they could program the doors to open as soon as the alarm sounds. We have the technology to do it easily.

HeyYou- all of our priorities in the world are a tad backwards, if this doesn't open up some eyes in regard to protecting the young child and future of our country don't know what will. Figure it out, if not its gonna happen again. Gotta make schools as safe as possible man, this **** is crazy

Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM
stewie01
Legend

Since we're still on this topic, anyone else tired of hearing that if "God" was allowed in schools that stuff like this wouldn't happen?

With all the wars and death in the name of a religion one might think God favored death. He sure doesn't do anything to stop it.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread