2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
Sorry bout that.

Absolute nonsense. Never ever have I had a problem when at max psi. Only when I got below max PSI did I start having trouble. how about this: On the 8 ply Es the RAM used to have, we got 6 years out of them. Never ever had a flat and that was over 35K. Mostly towing and rock roads. That's pretty good for any tire around here. And the fact was: Every time they got under max PSI they would start wearing poorly and flexing the sidewall too much. So I always kept them at max PSI. By the way, talk to a tire tech. A good one that knows what they are doing. The max PSI is actually technically referred to as the max rated PSI. it's unsafe to run tires at highway speeds underinflated. I know of plenty of accidents caused by stupid drivers who never checked their air pressure and lost control. (Note that I am NOT calling you a stupid driver; far be that from me).

Over inflated is just as dangerous as it causes tires to ride improperly and doesn't allow enough flex or shock absorbing to keep the tire within safe limits. Here's another thing: There's alot of centrifugal force involved with tires. Why do they balance them? For that very reason. here's another thing: The more matter (Yes air is matter just in gaseous form, cool it down into the hundreds of negatives and it will become a liquid or solid) being swung around the more centrifugal force, and the faster the harder. So look at it this way: If your tires are rated at 80PSI, like our old tires, and you keep them at 85PSI, that is 6% more pressure in the tire, which obviously means more air in it too, and you know if you add more weight on a rotating object there is a lot more force involved to both turn it and keep it steady. As fast as tires move, the centrifugal force multiplies alot faster than you think. Hope I worded this right.

On a side note, I think this is the first "technical argument" in the gibberish thread ROFL... Let's not go too far guys. Be it known that if someone proves me wrong I will be happy to change what I think. And, to every man their own opinion.
Running tires at max PSI or over is just wrong.. I know absolutely nobody that does that.. Hell even the semis dont run their tires at max psi.. I have had this conversation with alot of mechanics and tire techs that agree with me.. Just cause it says 80 psi dont mean you run that or more... There is no need for that type of tire on a half ton pickup.. And I dont think there is much room for you to be calling people an idiot who dont run their tires at MAX PSI... Some poor bastard will read this information and think its ok.. Go out and drop 80 pounds of air into a tire and go down the highway and have a blowout.. If a tire has a max psi rating of say 55 psi.. I will run that tire at 40lbs and never have any wear issues with them at all..

Dont take any offense but look at what I made bold in your statement.. You read it?? Your saying that when you were towing more than double what your truck was made for... Go out and put 80 psi in your tires.. Go for an hour long drive down the highway and check your pressure... You will be WAY over what your tire is rated for and will have a nasty blowout.. You have gotten lucky in so many ways its not even funny.. Towing 15-20k pound with your half ton and over inflating your tires??? Yea death trap rolling.. Go buy a lottery ticket cause you are one lucky SOB...

Done with my little rant now....

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best way to find the perfect air pressure for tire wear is with a peice of chalk. Google it. I don't feel like explaining it.

I am so sick of how my Galaxy s3 behaves on this forum lately. Anyone else having issues with having to click links four hundred times before they work or anything like that? This is the only website I am having issues with.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that issue with my galaxy S (Epic 4G) its not just this site...happens on a lot of forums and some other sites as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i avoid using my phone for forum surfing.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
Best way to find the perfect air pressure for tire wear is with a peice of chalk. Google it. I don't feel like explaining it.

I am so sick of how my Galaxy s3 behaves on this forum lately. Anyone else having issues with having to click links four hundred times before they work or anything like that? This is the only website I am having issues with.
Originally Posted by Jigabop
I have that issue with my galaxy S (Epic 4G) its not just this site...happens on a lot of forums and some other sites as well.
i have the galaxy s captivate, and i have noticed it too. especially on facebook, its ridiculous. i hate using my phone for anything other than a phone now, its ridiculous!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it time guys, pretty soon cell phones will do everything BUT make a phone call.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

bought our new dog a leash, and her first toy tonight. we dont pick her up until next saturday(feb. 9th) but we couldnt wait any longer. all we need to get is a collar, and a kennel for night time, well that, and food and a dish.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a big metal kennel I'd let you have for shipping

Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Galaxy s1 4g never had this problem. The software sucked *****, really buggy, but it never did this crap. Sheesh. They fix one thing and make another worse. Doesn't sound like progress to me.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
I've got a big metal kennel I'd let you have for shipping
as good as an offer that is, id rather have plastic. its gonna be indoors, and i dont want her to hurt herself in it. shes only 10wks old currently.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread