2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus I've been making my snow runs with an open diff (duh!), no weight in the bed, and my E's aired to 45PSI. Probably not the best combo. And the open diff really shows it's a$$ more in the snow.

Just finished cutting up some more wet wood to use as bed weight for the next snow.. Plus I'll air down a bit.

What's probably the safest PSI to air down to for mostly highway (non interstate) trip?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Plus I've been making my snow runs with an open diff (duh!), no weight in the bed, and my E's aired to 45PSI. Probably not the best combo. And the open diff really shows it's a$$ more in the snow.

Just finished cutting up some more wet wood to use as bed weight for the next snow.. Plus I'll air down a bit.

What's probably the safest PSI to air down to for mostly highway (non interstate) trip?
Depends on what is called for on the tire.. Mine call for something like 55 psi.. I always run them at about 38-40 psi.. Never had an issue with it..

Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Ive deflated mine to 20psi before for mud and snow. You want the sidewall to start touching the ground.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01

32 maybe?

what you need E rated tires for anyway? your suspension ain't heavy enough to need E rated...overload the truck before the tire

anyway, I got some good bed weight for ya that I use in my S10 when it snows.

buddy of mine is a heavy equipment mechanic and he brought me some sprockets he took off of a dozer and excavator when he replaced the tracks on them.

2 of them weight about 120-150lbs each the other two are about 60-80lbs each. toss all 4 in the bed and it squats the S10 a few inches. holds the road good with all that weight back there. and its nice and even weight distribution.

that makes a big difference in sliding if you do lose traction...if the weight is evenly distributed in the bed, the truck will stay straight when sliding. if the weight is uneven, or your rear axle is not centered, it will slide to one side or another.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Depends on what is called for on the tire.. Mine call for something like 55 psi.. I always run them at about 38-40 psi.. Never had an issue with it..
Don't think there's a minimum pressure rating on the tire, just a max which is 80PSI.

Just wait till I buy a 4wd Dodge, I'll be blowing up these forums with "my 4wd won't work" and "wtf happened to my tcase" threads. Seems like there's 1 or 2 a day now. I've been looking on craigslist, expanded search area's too, another Ram 1500 seems to be the cheapest out there, Ford and Chevy are going for crazy high.

It wasn't the truck I posted a few pages back but found a '00 1500 5spd 4wd for $3900.

Edit:

Jigabop, they didn't have any C's in stock, and the other choices they had were crap, and it was late so all of the "regular" tire shops would be closed.

Last edited by stewie01; 01-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by dlyter09
20 psi lower than rated is safe at less than 60MPH. Lowering tire pressure can increase stability on slippery surfaces, but will also degrade MPG, not necessarily very noticeably.

I always run my tires at MAX PSI as listed on tire as far as vehicles go.

I've got Es on the RAM, it's over 80PSI max. They are 10 plys. The old 8ply Es were 80 max. good tires for towin and snowin.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Jigabop
Champion

I run mine at different pressures.

fronts have more pressure than the rears in mine. truck is a bit nose heavy with a cummins.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by techningeer
20 psi lower than rated is safe at less than 60MPH. Lowering tire pressure can increase stability on slippery surfaces, but will also degrade MPG, not necessarily very noticeably.

I've got Es on the RAM, it's over 80PSI max. They are 10 plys. The old 8ply Es were 80 max. good tires for towin and snowin.
I think you misunderstood me. I deflate them for mud or snow only, which is always way less than 60 mph. That is not the psi I run on the street. I run 80psi in my 10 plies

Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by techningeer

you do realize running a tire at its max rating without a load will wear out the tire prematurely right?

they have average pressure for a reason. running under inflated will wear out the edges of the tires quick. over inflated wears out the center in rather quick form.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread