2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my rear's at 45PSI and you can't hardly tell they've worn at all. Same for the fronts, except I need an alignment, so there's a little uneven wear, not too much.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
I have my rear's at 45PSI and you can't hardly tell they've worn at all. Same for the fronts, except I need an alignment, so there's a little uneven wear, not too much.
i have all four set between 35-40.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
you do realize running a tire at its max rating without a load will wear out the tire prematurely right?

they have average pressure for a reason. running under inflated will wear out the edges of the tires quick. over inflated wears out the center in rather quick form.
Contrary to most peoples beliefs, over inflated or tires aired to their max will actually last longer. On another forum I am a member off, fuel economy forum, people are getting almost 100k out of A 60k tire due to running max psi or over. This only works on street tires though not mts or ats

Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Contrary to most peoples beliefs, over inflated or tires aired to their max will actually last longer. On another forum I am a member off, fuel economy forum, people are getting almost 100k out of A 60k tire due to running max psi or over. This only works on street tires though not mts or ats

I used to work at a tire shop and seen a lot of cars and trucks rub the centers off of their tires while keeping tread on the outsides running around over-inflated.

y'all can do whatever ya want though! your trucks not mine

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt do it on my truck but on my car yes. I run the max psi in my car tires.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

I think you misunderstood me. I deflate them for mud or snow only, which is always way less than 60 mph. That is not the psi I run on the street. I run 80psi in my 10 plies
Sorry bout that.

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
you do realize running a tire at its max rating without a load will wear out the tire prematurely right?

they have average pressure for a reason. running under inflated will wear out the edges of the tires quick. over inflated wears out the center in rather quick form.
Absolute nonsense. Never ever have I had a problem when at max psi. Only when I got below max PSI did I start having trouble. how about this: On the 8 ply Es the RAM used to have, we got 6 years out of them. Never ever had a flat and that was over 35K. Mostly towing and rock roads. That's pretty good for any tire around here. And the fact was: Every time they got under max PSI they would start wearing poorly and flexing the sidewall too much. So I always kept them at max PSI. By the way, talk to a tire tech. A good one that knows what they are doing. The max PSI is actually technically referred to as the max rated PSI. it's unsafe to run tires at highway speeds underinflated. I know of plenty of accidents caused by stupid drivers who never checked their air pressure and lost control. (Note that I am NOT calling you a stupid driver; far be that from me).

Over inflated is just as dangerous as it causes tires to ride improperly and doesn't allow enough flex or shock absorbing to keep the tire within safe limits. Here's another thing: There's alot of centrifugal force involved with tires. Why do they balance them? For that very reason. here's another thing: The more matter (Yes air is matter just in gaseous form, cool it down into the hundreds of negatives and it will become a liquid or solid) being swung around the more centrifugal force, and the faster the harder. So look at it this way: If your tires are rated at 80PSI, like our old tires, and you keep them at 85PSI, that is 6% more pressure in the tire, which obviously means more air in it too, and you know if you add more weight on a rotating object there is a lot more force involved to both turn it and keep it steady. As fast as tires move, the centrifugal force multiplies alot faster than you think. Hope I worded this right.

On a side note, I think this is the first "technical argument" in the gibberish thread ROFL... Let's not go too far guys. Be it known that if someone proves me wrong I will be happy to change what I think. And, to every man their own opinion.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the weather forecaster's can't make up their mind about snow this weekend, so if we get any and I need to air down I'll go to 20PSI, see how that works...

Enough of the technical mumbo jumbo, back to the gibberish!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Name:  analsurprise_zpsc05616b8.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM