2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife saw this, it's too good to keep to myself, so I'm gonna share. And it might be a lesson for anyone contemplating a similar idea. Guys can do some really dumb things sometimes.

Why we shoot deer in the wild:

(A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope, and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ..... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal -like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God...An Educated Farmer

Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite the post Arde, but I sure believe it! I know a guy who thought he could sneak up and jump on a wild buck LOL... He had one hell of a ride! Although it went a little better than your episode LOL. He wore it out without getting knocked off LOL.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO!! That was good.. Saving that haha

Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
woods4life
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dehydrated air maybe??

Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i drove my dads standard transmission ford today. it seemed to be a lot easier than i remember last time. did get a bit of scare when the back end of the truck started sliding sideways while i was pretty much crawling along a snow covered road in 3rd gear only doing about 50km/h.

also got a bit more grinding done on my intake. slowly getting closer to having most of of the imperfections cleaned up. rotary file is working good.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
LMAO!! That was good.. Saving that haha
Agreed!!

@crazie -- Lookin good

Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So on my commute into Austin (on the days I have to go to the office) I keep driving by this. And I keep swearing am going to stop. Well, today I stopped. (69 Roadrunner with 383)

Name:  20130318_171129.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  125.3 KB

So the guy comes out, says he has to run across the highway to get gas and he will be right back. Says he is asking $13,000. Asks how long it has been since I have seen a real Mopar. WTF?

$13 is too much. Rockers rusted out, rust on top of fenders by trunk lid (actual holes in it the size of a nickel). Paint peeling. Said he moved here from Florida about 3 years ago. Car grades out between 5 and 6 (6 being a parts car, and assuming it runs). Book is about $5400 max.

It wil still be ther for some time to come. It is funny how people think something is extremely valuable in that condition. Not that I have time for another one or room in garage, but for $3500, I would be loading it on my trailer tomorrow!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
So on my commute into Austin (on the days I have to go to the office) I keep driving by this. And I keep swearing am going to stop. Well, today I stopped. (69 Roadrunner with 383)

So the guy comes out, says he has to run across the highway to get gas and he will be right back. Says he is asking $13,000. Asks how long it has been since I have seen a real Mopar. WTF?

$13 is too much. Rockers rusted out, rust on top of fenders by trunk lid (actual holes in it the size of a nickel). Paint peeling. Said he moved here from Florida about 3 years ago. Car grades out between 5 and 6 (6 being a parts car, and assuming it runs). Book is about $5400 max.

It wil still be ther for some time to come. It is funny how people think something is extremely valuable in that condition. Not that I have time for another one or room in garage, but for $3500, I would be loading it on my trailer tomorrow!

$13,000?? You should have gave him $13500.

Maybe he saw your truck and figured you had money.....

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So chatting with my grandfather yesterday and asked how things were in NOVA (Northern Virginia) said they were expecting a new mattress. They had just recently bought one that was lumpy and had issues with the edges, turns out it was a re-manufacture. And what's interesting is the Manufacturer's Plant Address is on the Sex Offenders Registry

Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is PIMP!

now THERE is a ricer I have respect for

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread