2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I think the Dodge gods hate me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 AM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think the Dodge gods hate me...

I am pissed off............

So I planned on going to the drag strip tongiht in Commerce for a quarter mile run... Me and my buddy went in the Indy. We made it up to the dragway and at the entrance, the lady says 'are you wearing pants?' I replied no, shorts...She told me to head down to the walmart down the road, get a pair and come back. So I make it in the parking lot and floor it in first gear. POP POP BANG!!! I heard a nasty noise I thought I broke something...lost power steering and pulled into a spot. Pop the hood and sure enough the serp belt was SHREDDED to hell! Many curse words later... I found a cool guy in an '08 Black qc/ lb CUMMINS to ride to me down the street to AZ for the new belt. This was around 9:30. I get a new belt and bought a 1/2 drive with a 15mm socket to put on..So 10 minutes of screwing around routing the belt, IT WOULD NOT fit! AGGGHHH! It was like the belt was 2 inches short of fitting.../damn S/C...

So had another friend come and get us now I have to go back with the right belt...hopefully I will get it running tomorrow and drive it home. I was so f-ing mad tonight...I wanted to run the 1/4 mile soooooo bad. I guess 3rd try is the charm...I will try to run NEXT FRIDAY

Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 AM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

damn thats weak... good thing nothing broke though

Old 09-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn man. Now you know the first rule of having a supercharged system that isn't running on its own belt: Always carry a spare belt.

If the belt was isolated, you could still limp it home.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, but it could of been much worse

I believe for stock pulleys & s/c the belt I use is a Carquest K071141
Torque 975K7 is for u/d pulleys & s/c but could be wrong
Just cause those belts work with my Procharger doesnt mean it will work with your Vortech
Supercharger location, tensioner location & the pulley diameters(2" variable there alone) will affect belt length.

With a supercharger tossing a belt its usually caused by one of 2 reasons.
Either the belt was barely long enough & had to be stretched to install it
Or the s/c & tensioner pulleys (one or both) are not aligned with the stock pulleys.

If the belt was stretched then the tensioner would be bouncing around alot.
Belt will tend to walk off the tighter side.

It is very important that all pulleys both stock & s/c are aligned correctly.
Put the new belt on, stand beside the truck so you can look at the belt inline with all pulleys.
They must all be a perfectly straight line, if they are not, baby it all the way home.

Inspect how the s/c is installed & see if there are any washers installed in the wrong location that would affect one or both pulleys.
If the s/c & tensioner are sitting towards the firewall too much then you will need to shim them forward.(5/8" washers may work)
If its too far forward, look for washers behind sub bracket or between main/sub/spacers.
If nothing causing it to sit forward may have to get spacers machined shorter.

I had to shim my Procharger forward slightly cause it was too far back

Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
bigslick050
All Star

OMG I have never struggled so much to get serp belt on...

So this morning after 9 calls to different Napas, I finally found one that had the specific belt I needed...apparently this belt is special order? The part number was on the old belt...

Drove back up to Commerce and started to route it on and seemed like it was just a wee bit short but I wasn't leaving that parking lot until it was on!

I had to take the lower puller off the S/C, line up the belt correctly and then push down on the pulley to force fit while I popped the bolt back in...It is REALLY tight! Fired up first try and 60 miles later, the belt hasn't moved an inch one way or the other.

But I think what happened was the belt just started to ride off the S/C pulley. Cuz before I left, I noticed the belt was one groove off the S/C pulley, and had been like that since I got it...I even tried to slide back in the right spot but couldn't get it to budge before I left so I said screw it, it will be fine...not the case however. But yeah all the pulleys are in perfect alignment. I guess I will carry that spare belt now! I learned a good lesson I guess...

Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Why would she ask if you were wearing pants?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Safety issue. I don't know til last night...They won't let you make a pass in shorts...must be fully covered down there.

Hey Blair! I didn't see a tip for wearing pants on your web page I did bring a helmet and they said I didn't even need that...lame

Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol
that wouldn't let you wear shorts yet you could go without a helmet?
WTF?
lmao

Sucks that you didn't get to run it down the strip.
Next week maybe?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 AM
bigslick050
All Star

LOL, I know. RETARDED

Oct 8 Friday is the next test n tune at that dragway. So I will be planning on it....third time is the charm?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an ignorant regulation. Under 113 in the 1/4 and you don't need a helmet. Always need pants though. Shrugs.

Quick Reply: I think the Dodge gods hate me...