2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dodge Ram Fuel Saver

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

95RAM360, you have a PM

Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

well today on xtreme they showed the RAM again, and showed the manual locking hubs portion again.

for the conversion kit its $1550....but the bearings are lifetime apparently...all you need to do is repack them about once a year and they should live the length of the truck....

so in the end it will eventually save money.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't buy lifetime parts for any vehicle, unless they are very cheap. I know I will never see the life of the vehicle offset the cost of the parts. You definitely won't see a 2nd gen + Dodge truck on the road 20 years down the line. They're just built like trash. GM and Ford trucks will suffer a similar fate.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
I don't buy lifetime parts for any vehicle, unless they are very cheap. I know I will never see the life of the vehicle offset the cost of the parts. You definitely won't see a 2nd gen + Dodge truck on the road 20 years down the line. They're just built like trash. GM and Ford trucks will suffer a similar fate.
I buy the lifetime warranty parts for thing that get changed on a regular basis. Alternators, waterpumps, etc. Things that I KNOW will fail again in the years that I drive whatever it happens to be. I paid an extra 40 bucks for a lifetime warranty alternator on my firebird. Over the course of the fifteen years I drove it, I replaced the alternator three more times. At zero cost. (aside from the time to change it.)

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I buy the lifetime warranty parts for thing that get changed on a regular basis. Alternators, waterpumps, etc. Things that I KNOW will fail again in the years that I drive whatever it happens to be. I paid an extra 40 bucks for a lifetime warranty alternator on my firebird. Over the course of the fifteen years I drove it, I replaced the alternator three more times. At zero cost. (aside from the time to change it.)
Yeah, I always get the lifetime warranty on water pumps because I have to change it every 2 or 3 years.

Anyways, the bearings on the Spintech kit (What was featured on Idiots 4x4) are just plain jane replaceable bearings like you would see on a older Chevy or Ford. They ARE NOT lifetime.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You definitely won't see a 2nd gen + Dodge truck on the road 20 years down the line.
Look me up in 20 years.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

You definitely won't see a 2nd gen + Dodge truck on the road 20 years down the line. They're just built like trash. GM and Ford trucks will suffer a similar fate.
so will all the Honda trucks. according to what my uncle says they are unibody and once they start to rust there is nothing you can do to repair the unibody. where i live with how much salt and sand they put on the road they would be lucky to last 10 years. if you were to look me up in 20 years i would still have my trucks as long as i always have a place to park them.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
so will all the Honda trucks. according to what my uncle says they are unibody and once they start to rust there is nothing you can do to repair the unibody. where i live with how much salt and sand they put on the road they would be lucky to last 10 years. if you were to look me up in 20 years i would still have my trucks as long as i always have a place to park them.
Honda doesnt make trucks. They make Accords that look like Nissan Titans.

And your uncle is wrong. Unibody cars have been around since the '60s when 'Ma Mopar started using them. And there are plenty of unibody cars from the '80s around without major rust problems.

Look me up in 50 years. By that time Purpl will probably have 1,500,000 miles and have been re-built at least 3 times. Lets see if I can rollover that digital odometer!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Honda doesnt make trucks. They make Accords that look like Nissan Titans.

And your uncle is wrong. Unibody cars have been around since the '60s when 'Ma Mopar started using them. And there are plenty of unibody cars from the '80s around without major rust problems.
my uncle is a frame straightener. he fixes frames for a living and he has been doing it for about 20+ years. obviously you don't know about what happens to frames and unibody's in Ontario if they are not taking care of. there are pretty much no unibody cars left from the 80's where i live. i'm lucky to have found and 81 that is in descent shape as far as body and frames go.
Honda Ridgeline

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 12-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Look me up in 20 years.
Ditto.
The only thing that will make me get rid of mine is if I total it, and that's only after I buy it back from the insurance company and strip all usable parts off of it.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Fuel Saver