2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

DIY Onboard Air - 2nd Gen Ram - ARB Compressor and 5 gallon Tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Good idea with the rack. Only thing to be mindful of, which I'm sure you are, is leak checking that thing due to number of welds you will end up with. I like the idea though as it's along the same lines of bumpers that also act as a tank.

As for the compressor, afaik a York Compressor is suitable as opposed to the A/C. IIRC the seals being suitable for air tight (hermetic). Nab a York out of '80s Volvo from a JY. This has been a common formula for OBA setups too. 4x4help.com actually documents quite a few.
ya i am aware of possible leaks. if i have a leak i will grind and keep welding till it holds air but i am pretty sure i will get it right the first time.

thanks for the tip on the compressor. i will keep an eye open for one. i know the old a/c compressors that use to be installed on dodge vehicles could be uses as air compressors and heard they worked way better than the york compressors but then again 2 cylinders is better than 1.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

The york compressors are actually better, as they are pretty much self contained. If you use any other variety of compressor, you need to introduce oil into the intake side of the compressor, to keep it lubed up. (leave it alone VW...... )

If you already have A/C, finding a place to put it might be fun, if you scrap your current A/C, mounting it there would be cake.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't have a/c. i just have the compressor and a few of the lines. i scrapped the rest. the compressor i have would need an oiler and oil trap but i think the older dodge compressors have a separate lubrication system.
http://forums.aaca.org/f170/mopar-ac...or-266972.html

Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have tossed that back and forth. The tank has a drain on it. Think its a necessity or "just a good idea" kinda thing? Just didn't think the volume warranted it. However, I'm open to your wit and charm to convince its something good to do. I'm not opposed to it at all.

I have always kept my comp air as dry as possible, air tools and plasma cutters do not like water at all, and possibly water in tires.

Two water separators/filters, one between the tank and comp and one after the tank. Is it overkill I don’t think so, I would not like to have to pull the arb diff lockers out to clean them, or worse have them freeze and crack something.

As for mounting the air tank what about putting it behind the driver’s or pass side of the box; sort of diagonal mount to the side of the box. I am guessing that that tank is a 3 gallon and roughly 3’x1’ or so.

Last edited by merc225hp; 11-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zencyl
I would love to run this setup in my toolbox and mount the tank below the toolbox. What else would need to be done to be able to run air tools, just the size of the tank? or would I need to look at a bigger compressor?
Would depend on the rating of your tools (CFM) and duty cycle/CFM of the compressor. The tank definitely provides a buffer. How much? I have not determined that...yet.

Here is the specifications for the ARB compressors.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/ai...rTechSpecs.pdf
Upon further looking and a friend pointing out the error of my dream, this compressor cannot be used to properly run air tools. The one that I've chosen in this setup. The choice was primarily for eventual air lockers and air own air source. Air tools was just one of those.... "oh yeah maybe it could!" moments.

So the OP is updated with a note about this.

To properly add the usefulness of air tools, one would probably need to go the mechanical air compressor route, like the York. However, I don't know the specs off hand on that. Research and be sure for your needs.

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I have always kept my comp air as dry as possible, air tools and plasma cutters do not like water at all, and possibly water in tires.

Two water separators/filters, one between the tank and comp and one after the tank. Is it overkill I don’t think so, I would not like to have to pull the arb diff lockers out to clean them, or worse have them freeze and crack something.
This is certainly something easy to implement in my system and just good piece of mind. I'll probably take you up on it.

Related question -- are the differentials already under some nominal pressure? I presume they are since breathers are present? I tried to understand if any water actually gets into ARB Locker filled diffs. Moreover, was looking to see if people encountered any water issues on that end. All I found was problems about oil getting in the line, which then over time clogs up the system and prevents operation.

Originally Posted by merc225hp
As for mounting the air tank what about putting it behind the driver’s or pass side of the box; sort of diagonal mount to the side of the box. I am guessing that that tank is a 3 gallon and roughly 3’x1’ or so.
My tank is 5 gallons actually. I'm poorly visualizing your location and what you mean by "box". Sorry.

In my last photo here, my thought was passenger side, right above the Hi-Lift jack.

Name:  IMG_20111113_145752.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  74.6 KB

Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The york compressors are actually better, as they are pretty much self contained. If you use any other variety of compressor, you need to introduce oil into the intake side of the compressor, to keep it lubed up. (leave it alone VW...... )

If you already have A/C, finding a place to put it might be fun, if you scrap your current A/C, mounting it there would be cake.
You can have factory AC and a York 210. It was a bit of work to build the bracket, but it was well worth it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...a-install.html

Cartman

Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by EricCartman
You can have factory AC and a York 210. It was a bit of work to build the bracket, but it was well worth it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...a-install.html

Cartman
What would you charge for a set of those brackets?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What would you charge for a set of those brackets?
He ignored you in the other thread, so why would he answer you here?

I have to say, EricCartman has a bad-*** setup. I want to know how loud those horns are.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Third time could be a charm...unlike you.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Third time could be a charm...unlike you.

Quick Reply: DIY Onboard Air - 2nd Gen Ram - ARB Compressor and 5 gallon Tank