2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
View Poll Results: Should I fight the ticket?
Yes
94.12%
No
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Got a ticket today, should I fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a ticket today, should I fight it?

Ok, so I was on my way to class this morning when I got pulled over by a cop going the opposite direction, He said he clocked me going 72 in a 55, but apparently said I slowed to 70, however, on the ticket, it says he used "Watch (Ground)" Detection method for calculating my speed, which is the VASCAR system. No radar was used.

Basically what VASCAR is, is a stop watch with a calculator, he must enter in a distance then times how long it takes me to go that distance.

Distance
___________ = Speed

Time

So he has to use two points to measure the distance, and he must know the distance of the two points before hand. Keep in mind, I was a long ways away from him driving toward him and he was also traveling at Highway speed towards me so his visual perception alone could not of been very accurate.

But he says I was going 72 MPH, 72MPH = 105.6 Feet per second

I don't know what his distance was that he clocked me over, but say it was 250 feet.

_________ = 105.6FPS = 72 MPH

2.36 Seconds

However, scientific study shows that the average Human reaction time is .3 seconds. So if it takes him an extra .3 to start the clock, and stop the clock then it's then and extra .6 seconds for Reaction calculated below.

_________ = 84.45 FPS = 57 MPH.

2.96 Seconds

Therefor if you take into account the average reaction time of a human, I was actually only traveling 57 Miles Per Hour, and not the 72 that he supposedly clocked me at.

Think I have a chance to fight it?

EDIT: Oh yeah, on the ticket, it says I was driving a "Dodge Dakota". Notice something wrong with that.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

I've gone to court every time I get pulled over. Most of the time I either got it dismissed or reduced. Its worth a try if nothing else.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter6-2.html

is a good resource for help fighting them.

Last edited by MedicNathan; 12-07-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would take it to court. i am almost certain since he made a mistake on the ticket it becomes invalid. plus if he did not clock you with a radar then i don't see him having any ground to stands on.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

police in general are paid to have integrity.. i know, laughable, no?

if you go into court using this tact, you're going to get nailed to the jail.. if you approach it differently, you may have a chance to get it dismissed.. if it were me, and it isn't, but if it were, i'd say something like:

"...Judge, I pay particular attention to my speed, not only because of laws but because my truck is a pig when it comes to fuel.. It stands an outside chance this fella is right, but I swear on my life that is WAY out of character for me, and for more reasons than the posted speed limit.. I noticed when he pulled me there was no radar evidence, and on the ticket that he used vascar- and I don't want to say the officer is making this up, because I know he's a lawman and he's a trained observer, but I really think he's mistaken..."

it sucks you gotta play the edges and not say things direct, but you can't.. if you do, you challenge the system- they can't be having that.. plain and simple.. come up with some way to say it that doesn't directly conflict with the officer.. at the very least, and even if the judge lets you fly, you'll have to avoid that cop for a long long time- or get a new rig that he doesn't recognize.. it's just the way it is..

Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to take a driver improvement course after my first under 18 accident in Virginia. The instructor is a employee of VA Department of Transportation and also has a commercial driver's license.

He told us a story about going on a ride with a cop, and they were in the cop car, and the radar gun clocked a stop sign going 80MPH.

Can't trust radar either.

But I would fight it.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

Oh yeah, thought I should mention, it was a Highway Patrol / State Trooper that got me. I'm assuming that only hurts my chances.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

just like your math proves. a fraction of a second can be a big difference and that the human brain is not really capable of judging it which is why we invented the radars for them. if the guy can not tell the difference between a ram and dakota he should not be a cop. does it not say ram in fairly respectable sized letters on the door that he would have had to approach? i am almost certain dakota don't and are much smaller.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

lol Actually believe it or not, I got it all on video, thanks to my own Dash Cam.

I was an idiot and told him, "That's not my vehicle"
he said "What's not? It's a..?"
"It's a Ram."
He just said
"Is that what you call it? It doesn't matter, I got the license plate.." Or something along those lines.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And for the million dollar question, how fast were you actually going? If you were actually speeding just pay the ticket.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

57 MPH.... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Trololol

Quick Reply: Got a ticket today, should I fight it?