2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheeling a fullsize

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
awww man...so much poo on the rig!! lol Is the video coming?

Are all 3 jeeps pulling you out? or is it just to recover the yellow one?

Yeah, change up the sig pic now. Don't need to be seeing you on the pavement....
Lol I'm not sure. Gotta check with the guys but I think there's a video out there. Nope in the last pic the yellow and white jeep are both stuck. The white jeep went to recue the yellow jeep and got stuck himself so the black jk saved the day. For my recovery, the white jk winched to me with a ****** block and the black jk strapped himself to the white jk to hold him. Ended up being a rear recovery. The further we pulled to the front the deeper in got. Bottomless muskeg sucks!!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I was just looking thru some old pictures of some trails I have been on. This is one of my favorite trails in the Rimrock area. I can't wait til my Jeep is back running again so I can go run these trails again.

Name:  IMGP1020.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  137.4 KB

They ain't lying either about this trail. You are not going to turn around and come back up that is for sure and there isn't a bypass if you get scared. During the summer it can be a semi-controlled slide to the bottom due to the dirt turning to talcum power.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Went on a little fishing trip with some buddies today and it turned into a wheeling trip as well.

Name:  image_zps885237ac.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  164.3 KB

A little stuck

Name:  image_zpsf5b0adf7.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  143.2 KB

My girlfriend came as well. She's a real trooper

Name:  image_zps6edd37a4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  126.0 KB

Here's a video of one of the smaller mud runs.

Couldn't drive all the way to the lake so we had to drag my boat to the lake. Not exactly fun lol

Name:  image_zps5b089154.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  319.2 KB

Had a good time with the girlfriend and my friends. That's what it's all about. Caught some decent fish too!

Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

And the GF is even SMILING! She has a sense of humor on getting stuck?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:37 PM
corbo1962
Veteran

Yep, it does look like a good time, were you stuck?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:58 PM
TEDD

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
There is no need to weld to the cast housing, at least not in my setup. If you're going to weld on cast, then be sure to use a someone that knows how to weld with high nickle content wire and ability to preheat and slow cool.

Can you do this in your garage, yes but with the above know how.

I should mention that the 4 link remains a very efficient design. It can perform just as well as a 3 link. I don't want to give the impression that a 4 link is inferior. It really depends on your application and usage.

My plan is to actually have a removable upper. This is b/c I want good, safe onroad stability. I don't believe a single person that has done shared their 3link setup experienced stable onroad.... lol
I can't wait to see how this turns out NuKLe. I thought about a 3 link when I did mine but I was worried about strength with the weight of our trucks. That being said, I know some bad a/$ lighter rigs with 3 link fronts that run great on and off road with 38" + tires.

I think that if you have the smarts to set it up properly (and I know you do!) then the only down fall to a 3 link over a 4 link set up on our trucks is strength. As for a removable upper link I don't think it's necessary, but I'm bias because I'm a lazy f/(ker and I'd probably never take it off lol.

Keep the updates coming!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
tincan57
Captain

TEDD, Good to see you surface..........Nice year model for a rig. I look forward to your input in this thread. Last I had seen of you (VID), your significant other was wheeling a rig darn near vertical, (scared me). Welcome to DF, if I'm the first. K.

Last edited by tincan57; 06-15-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: ^TEDD
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by corbo1962
Yep, it does look like a good time, were you stuck?
A little. I made a rut from going back and forth and ended up needing a pull over the hump. This wasn't even the worst.. Trying to find the video but there's one hill we all had to climb that was just nasty. I was the only one to make it up without needing winched up and the only reason I think was simple horsepower. It was all swampy and I was throwing logs out of underneath me!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang TP....so much mud in your guys' life. Time for some 44s to float up on that mess. By the way, are these already established access routes you take? (not judging) No way to tell from your pictures and down here in Commiefornia...there's alot of....regulated access. Just curious how it is up on the good ole big C-anada.

Wildman -- I love that sign. We need more signs like that down here. We have a popular route used for the winter time (i've shown pics of that area). It get dual use during winner for ONLY 4wd equipped vehicles. Road is unmaintained/closed during winter, but access only for 4wd. 2wd will get ticketed. It's 23 miles long and had a gate at the end just before a hwy. It's makes driving to Kirkwood Ski area quicker, which people from the bay area and other regions attempt b/c they follow their GPS. They ignore the sign that bottom (21 miles before) stating this --

There is a 2nd sign that says "your gps is wrong!"

Invariably...people in Honda Pilots (SUVs) continue and get stuck. Typically enough wheelers up there to help and sometimes people wait hours. Not good when they are not prepared.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey you!!

hahah just kidding!

You bring up good points with the weight my friend. It's something I'll be paying close attention to. There are some recent large Ford Trucks on 40s running around now with such a setup. It's a reference point....and only that for right now. lol

How has your developments come along? Tune going well? Everything back running? Or you still a lazy f/ker?

Didn't do anything to the rig this past week. This coming week there is a possible development if things work out.

Originally Posted by TEDD
I can't wait to see how this turns out NuKLe. I thought about a 3 link when I did mine but I was worried about strength with the weight of our trucks. That being said, I know some bad a/$ lighter rigs with 3 link fronts that run great on and off road with 38" + tires.

I think that if you have the smarts to set it up properly (and I know you do!) then the only down fall to a 3 link over a 4 link set up on our trucks is strength. As for a removable upper link I don't think it's necessary, but I'm bias because I'm a lazy f/(ker and I'd probably never take it off lol.

Keep the updates coming!

Quick Reply: Wheeling a fullsize