2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheeling a fullsize

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hydro Assist in the house

dun dun duuuuuun

Name:  IMG_20160423_142428246.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  3.03 MB

Hard part done.

Name:  IMG_20160426_174536408_HDR.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  3.25 MB

Install box, reservoir and lines.

Name:  IMG_20150612_150521241.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  3.40 MB

Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Hydro assist awesome add-on. Now you'll be able to steer the truck with one finger while on the trail. I love it in my Jeep, even with 38" tires I can still turn my steering wheel with a finger. It is even better when you're stuck and you want to move the front end. Depending on the situation I have been able to walk the frontend over 2-3 feet by turning the wheel back and forth. I don't know if you have one or not but if you don't you should seriously look at adding a power steering cooler.
I used this cooler for my power steering. http://smile.amazon.com/70255-SuperC...s=B%26M+cooler

I bought 2 and used the other one for my tranny. One of the things I am going to upgrade as the Jeep goes back together is the tranny cooler because I am not going to use the radiator to cool my tranny. So I bought this cooler to better cool the tranny. http://smile.amazon.com/70298-Hi-Tek...s=B%26M+cooler

I'm going to try stacking the one with the fan in front of the other two coolers if I can make it all fit. Then the fan would help in cooling the other two coolers too.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 04-29-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!

Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Similarly have to be careful. lol Since the feedback is significantly muted.

I did add a steering cooler few years back and it's still doing very well. My large e-fans ensure air flow too and I haven't had a whining incident since.

Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 402 Ultra-Cool Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 402 Ultra-Cool Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive

My radiator has the tranny fluid cooler, yet I'll be watching that part still. So far no issues, again, the dual TCP efan kit has been pretty bomb proof.

Very good points to keep in mind for sure. Excited to see yours start to come back together Sir.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Hydro assist awesome add-on. Now you'll be able to steer the truck with one finger while on the trail. I love it in my Jeep, even with 38" tires I can still turn my steering wheel with a finger. It is even better when you're stuck and you want to move the front end. Depending on the situation I have been able to walk the frontend over 2-3 feet by turning the wheel back and forth. I don't know if you have one or not but if you don't you should seriously look at adding a power steering cooler.
I used this cooler for my power steering. http://smile.amazon.com/70255-SuperC...s=B%26M+cooler

I bought 2 and used the other one for my tranny. One of the things I am going to upgrade as the Jeep goes back together is the tranny cooler because I am not going to use the radiator to cool my tranny. So I bought this cooler to better cool the tranny. http://smile.amazon.com/70298-Hi-Tek...s=B%26M+cooler

I'm going to try stacking the one with the fan in front of the other two coolers if I can make it all fit. Then the fan would help in cooling the other two coolers too.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

WK, I have the tranny cooler on my radiator too but because I was overheating so bad I had switched to just the external cooler. I decided to add the one with the fan for this new tranny because I want to help it last for the next 20 years. Which is why also I won't hook it up to my radiator. Using the radiator cooler is one of those debates like Ford or Chevy. But if you think about it the engine runs at 210* and that tranny cool in the radiator is cooled in the fluid in the radiator too. So that makes your tranny run around 200*. Just something to think about.

Next month I should be taking my engine to the machine shop. Then things will start happening.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Understandable that the extra oompf was needed from existing overheating situation.

I haven't had any episode of overheating over it's entire life. More importantly not in the time when started wheeling. Better yet, also still holding good with all the gearing mods, etc. to-date. So far on the trails and distance driving.

There's always room to add the help though, that is for sure. Friend of mine I think got that same or very similar tranny cooler with fan setup last couple months. It hasn't been put to work yet to see it's benefits.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
dun dun duuuuuun

Hard part done.

Install box, reservoir and lines.

Does this plug right up to your factory power steering pump? I've been trying to read up on this since you posted it, but it gets complicated.

The reason I ask is, I recently broke my tie rods, so I ordered:

High steer kit from ruffstuff. I have steering issues every trail ride, and that looks to be a great solution, if I can budget it in.

Would you guys recommend the same type of setup, or something different, since I have to cut and weld my steering anyways?

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If it's a trail-only rig, could go full hydraulic...... The 'newer' systems actually give some feedback thru the wheel as well. Effortless steering, regardless of what the tires are in. Of course, it's easier to break parts with one wheel jammed up against a rock too.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nicraage
Does this plug right up to your factory power steering pump? I've been trying to read up on this since you posted it, but it gets complicated.

The reason I ask is, I recently broke my tie rods, so I ordered:

High steer kit from ruffstuff. I have steering issues every trail ride, and that looks to be a great solution, if I can budget it in.

Would you guys recommend the same type of setup, or something different, since I have to cut and weld my steering anyways?

Thanks.
I am not up on Dodge axles so I have to ask, are your knuckles already drilled for high steer? And are they also machined flat tops? If not you will have to have that done to your knuckles if you can.

As far as the hydro assist it is great for helping to steer larger tires. It can also break parts because it puts a lot of force on your TRE's and knuckles.
Also you have to have your steering box drilled and tapped for hydro assist or buy a new box that already is. I think you need to figure out why you are having steering issues first. And then figure out why you're breaking stuff. Then we can figure out what you need to do.
Also another option for you is to replace all your TRE's with heim joints which are much stronger than TRE's. There are tons of things that can be done the question is money and how big do you want to go? That is most likely your best answer. Get 1 ton running gear like WK so you can run larger parts and you'll stop having as many problems. What you're doing with your truck is asking a lot from a D44 axle.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 AM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it's a trail-only rig, could go full hydraulic...... The 'newer' systems actually give some feedback thru the wheel as well. Effortless steering, regardless of what the tires are in. Of course, it's easier to break parts with one wheel jammed up against a rock too.
Not trail only. Usually i'm in some heavy mud or wedged in some hole when I have a steering issue.

Quick Reply: Wheeling a fullsize