2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Disappointed with GM

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 AM
98Ramboy
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disappointed with GM

Here is a long story about a possessed 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
You better sit down and get a drink haha

So, going back a few years, my family needed a, well, family car. We ended up buying a 2001 Ford Police Interceptor. Man, that thing was crazy! If you ever get the chance to drive one of those, go for it, they're a lot of fun. Well we had that for a few years. We bought it at 88k miles and at 2k miles later, the fuel pump went so we changed it. Aside from that, not a single issue. Fast forward a few years, the car has 130k miles on it, way more than the average haha! My mom's starting to get sick of it so we sell it to the local Dodge Dealer here in CT. We traded it in for a '02 Pontiac, listed above. The car has 80k miles on it, and was taken care of, anybody could tell. There's not a scratch on it! Well anyway, we all loved it because of it only having two doors and the supercharger, Bose speakers etc. My mom is driving it to work one day, starts to hear this loud clunking and it dies, right outside of our street as she's turning out, blocking the whole road. She manages to push it back into our street and gets a ride to work. Something was jamming the engine. My grandpa, who was visiting at the time, managed to get it started and back into our driveway, still making that clunking sound. My dad and I get home and looked at it. We determined that a rod bearing went and the whole engine was falling apart. Only having the car for a week, we called the Dealer up, which happened to be a 5 Star Chrysler/Dodge dealer, said there's nothing they could do and they're not liable. They said the repair cost, can't remember what it was, but it was an outrageous amount of money. My dad tried talking to them, trying to work out a deal and just either buy a brand new 200 or a Dart when it came out. However, seeing as this dealer knows nothing on customer service, they just kept saying no and kept trying to get us to bring the car in and have it fixed. We said no, and bought a new engine for the car, this new engine had one hundred and twenty thousand miles on it, but with a 6 month warranty. So we went for it, and swapped engines. Of course pulling the old engine out was nearly impossible because something was stopping the crankshaft from moving. We had to cut the bottom off and when we did, all of these random parts came down with it, obviously not supposed to be there, just random chunks of metal. After swapping the engine, the A/C quit working so we had to buy a new compressor. Then the engine kept going into a "limp mode". After a few days of diagnostics, we figured out the problem and fixed it, bad thermostat. Then as I was driving it one day, it just randomly died on my street, luckily there and not somewhere else. Couldn't start it, the engine would turn over and fire, then die right away. We, again, spent a few days with diagnostics and fixed another problem. Turns out, a bunch of sensors were bad. Now the resonator is going haha

This car has had so many issues from when we've had it, absolutely ridiculous. You'd think that the Dealer would've taken the car back, but nope. I mean, let me ask you this. If you bought a car from a dealership, especially a 5 star Chrysler one, and it has a serious problem in the 1st week you've owned it, wouldn't you expect something? Some sort of deal? Artioli Dodge/Chrysler..you don't deserve those stars...And GM..tsk tsk tsk haha

Mopar or no car, am I right?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i'm not too surprised. i don't think i would buy a gm product from that area of time. my uncle had a 2003 saturn vue. he got it for whatever the tow truck bill on it was. he glued it back together and it was driven for who knows how long before it needed a new transmission. there was less than 200,000km on it and it was already on its 2nd transmission and the transmission cost $5000 plus about 2 days on the hoist. according to google there is a class action lawsuit against gm for these vehicle and the transmissions fail just after warrenty ends.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM
gdstock
Legend

There is a movie that was put out and then nearly taken off the market by NADA. Why, you ask? The movie was about the autos sales industry.

What was the name of the movie, you ask? Suckers.

What is the moral of the story? You own it!

But I cannot afford that? Don't care - you own it.

Name:  Suckers.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  23.0 KB

I was selling cars when I learned of this movie. Have a VHS copy dubbed from DVD somewhere. And sales managers push salesmen past the ethics line, then bail on them when it goes bad. Tough way to a person of integrity to make a living.

EDIT: Correction to movie title (been several years)

Last edited by gdstock; 06-14-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the title just sell it to the scrap yard, if you don't, let the payments go and have it taken back. Just have to live with a repo on your or whoever's credit.

My mother had a '99 Grand Am, was a great car for a long while. Then the transmission started to slip, BAD, you could be backing out of a driveway and it would feel like you were spinning tire... Then the motor blew.... The local Ford dealer gave her $1,000 trade in.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
98Ramboy
Professional

I'm just upset that the dealer won't attempt to work something out

Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

maybe you should talk to a lawyer. see if there is something the law can do. i am pretty sure there has got to be some sort of warranty on used cars even if it is only a 30day thing. have an engine die after only owning it for a week is a joke.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"as is" means exactly what it says.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
"as is" means exactly what it says.
True, but some states have laws that all used cars must have at least a xx day warranty. Its usually 30 day or 60 day or something like that.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i am guessing if you bought it at a dealer and you were able to drive it off the lot it was not sold as is. i know if it is sold as is here you would usually have to have it towed or flat bedded of the lot.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what happend with my Cobra... a week after I bought it I had to get a new clutch... 2 weeks after that the motor went boom... had the tow truck drop the car right in front of the office door and showed up the next day with a lawyer... that's were I got my truck from.. most places will do what you want when you mention lawyer... just like when my old man bought his 03 Hemi brand new and at the 3000 mile service the technician wrapped it around a pole screwing around in the lot.. dealer said they would fix it on their dime and my dad said no ill get a lawyer to come handle this cause I don't want that truck back.. the next day there was a brand new 04 Sittin on the lot with 61 miles on it and they handed him the keys and said here's your new truck and then fired the guy who wrecked it right in front of us...

Quick Reply: Disappointed with GM