2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What can you do with your 1/2 ton truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Re-read some of his posts. His driving style just might make it possible...... the vacuum leak is going to make him run lean as well. I would find it just a tad humorous (in a strange kind of way) if he fixed his plenum, and got WORSE gas mileage.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HeyYou, that is a very interesting point I never thought about before. It would be funny if my gas mileage got worse . Wh1t3NuKle, that was measured before the catalytic converter went noticeably bad. The plenum wasn't leaking as bad either. One thing you can do if you have a throttle valve cable on your transmission is adjust it slightly off. This will cause the transmission to downshift slightly later, but if you do towing, either do not do this or be prepared to downshift the truck by hand using the shift lever (the accelerator won't downshift the truck if you do this and are under load). Another issue that some people will debate with me is what gas you use. Just remember that i am sharing what has worked well for me: it won't nessecarily work for you. Just use what you might find helpful out of this and share your experience as well. Now for the gas these engines from the factory use 87 octane gas. I always use 87 octane gas, anotherwards without Ethanol. Ethanol does not work as well, in my case running the engine hotter, poorer power and gas mileage and the enigne will burn more water cause Ethanol really absorbs the water, and causes it to get into the engine that way. That is just my experience with it. Oh, and Dodge says that (this is for E85, but it helps prove my point because 89 octane gas contains 10-15% ethanol) using ethanol will increase your fuel usage by 30%! And even if it isn't that bad, it is still cheaper to buy the 87 octane gas, unless you have special requirements for high octane like different injectors etc.

Last edited by aofarrell2; 07-28-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: wrong word: better needed to be worse in second sentence; wrong octane spec
Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

82 or do you mean 87?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops sorry meant 87!! Big difference. But as a side note I have had an engine around here (albeit a tractor engine) that was designed to run on 82... did super on 87.

Quick Reply: What can you do with your 1/2 ton truck?