2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Where did I go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Well mine does have a toolbox loaded with tools, and i have 265/75/16 10ply tires thats why i see what i do but throwing 225s on it and taking toolbox out isnt going to give me another 6mpg.....the average is for every 500 pounds removed we gain just about 1/2 mile per gallon...

And my buddy has a 2wd 5.2 with 150k...he bought it from my dad at 120k and the truck was always serviced and never beat on....the best he sees is about 16mpg with 225s that he currently has on it.

I think ive made my point now
there is about a 2" difference between 265/75/16's and 225/75/16's. also that first number is also how wide the tire is. the wider the tire the worse your gas mileage. plus if you put larger tires on your truck you would have to correct your speedo or calculate that into your gas mileage readings some how.
225's are 29"
265's are 31.5"
285's are 33"
i thought i would also point out that putting tires on that are too small also gives the allusion that you are getting good gas mileage but you are not unless you correct the speedo for the smaller tires.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i thought i would also point out that putting tires on that are too small also gives the allusion that you are getting good gas mileage but you are not unless you correct the speedo for the smaller tires.
The smaller tires will get you better fuel economy if most of your driving is in the city or on the highway where the speed limits are pussified. When you're going stop light to stop light the smaller tires get the rig moving with less effort, and where the speed limits are low the engine gets into its most efficient range sooner and more often on the donut holes.

Out here in the west where interstate speed limits are 75 to 85, those 225 go-kart wheels will hurt more than slightly oversized tires if you spend most of your time on the interstate.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Wolfie was pointing out that the smaller the tire, the faster the odometer rolls up the miles, and the better the uneducated mpg-tracker feels about his driving habits/vehicle.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

^ya. that is why i used the word allusion.

i don't think you would get better gas mileage with 285/75/16 over 225/75/16 on the highway. the 285's are wider and and would have more rolling resistance than 225's.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Mostly the phase of the moon.

I found in the What did you do thread that he is running 225's....woooooow.
If the tires are much smaller than stock and the speedo/odo hasn't been calibrated that would explain the over inflated gas mileage calculations.

Edit: should have read to the end. I see Crazzywolfie said that above already.

Last edited by Ugly1; 09-04-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
^^^ Wolfie was pointing out that the smaller the tire, the faster the odometer rolls up the miles, and the better the uneducated mpg-tracker feels about his driving habits/vehicle.
I realized that before I ever poked the Quote button. I was just adding to the discussion that within reasonable limits and under certain driving conditions smaller tires will increase actual fuel economy. Heck, my truck had 225's on it when I bought it and they were the hot ticket for what the previous owner did with the thing. It was a work truck sporting toolboxes all around the bed and it never left the city, so those donuts saved wear and tear on the drivetrain and maximized his fuel economy, too. Inside the wheel wells they looked like donuts in punch bowls, but I'm glad he ran them to be nice to my truck before I got it.

I was getting an actual 12.5MPG around town for the month I kept those small tires on, and lost 2MPG when I bumped up to 265's. But most of my miles are on 75MPH interstates and I venture off road pretty regularly so I don't worry so much about city mileage. When your town is only a mile across there just isn't that much city driving to be done anyway!

Quick Reply: Where did I go wrong?