2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Gearing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 PM
sangheraent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing help

ok guys I need some helping with gearing my truck, I put some 275 55 20s on my truck and I released that I need to adjust the gearing to get some good power. I was wondering what gear ratio to go with I never go faster then 100km/h or 60mph and I want to tow 4-5000 lbs once a month for 1000 miles. Now I was thinking 4.10 or 4.56 what do you guys recommend?

my next question is how much is this going to cost to gear it? can I buy the stuff and do it myself? what do I need to buy? my truck is a 4x4 so I need to buy both.

Today I took the cover off my front differential, it was leaking a little bit and making a whining noise. I found metal shards on the bottom of my differential. Do I need to rebuild the whole thing? where would these little shards come from?

is it smarter to do the gearing and rebuild all at once?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

There are three important things you need to get right when you re-gear your diffs; pinion depth, pinion preload and tooth contact.
It's good time to do rebuild, because you have to remove bearings from carrier and pinion anyway, so why not replace them with new ones. Same goes to seals, because at front you'll have to pull the shafts and carrier to change the seals so it's good time to do all at once.
There's how to set gears -> http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

You can determine correct ratio with online calculators to get performance to stock specs.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
sangheraent

thats a good article! now I know that it can be done. My ujoints are due so I might as well do those at the same time as I need to dissemble them.

I still don't know what I need to buy though.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
There are three important things you need to get right when you re-gear your diffs; pinion depth, pinion preload and tooth contact.
It's good time to do rebuild, because you have to remove bearings from carrier and pinion anyway, so why not replace them with new ones. Same goes to seals, because at front you'll have to pull the shafts and carrier to change the seals so it's good time to do all at once.
There's how to set gears -> http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

You can determine correct ratio with online calculators to get performance to stock specs.

I have never had to rebuild a diff, but after reading through the article you linked...I kind of want to try one now! (my wife will rank you right down there with 2X1972!)

Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
dlyter09
Champion

4.56's and dont look back

Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM
sangheraent

so I called ringpinion and got a quote for 930 for all of the parts to do both front and rear. Now I called a shop yesterday and he quoted me 1500 total that included doing all the work and everything.

I feel like I can do it myself it seems pretty simple besides the setting up and what not. and I am doing my ujoints anyway so I am going to take it apart. I wonder if I can get the parts for less, anyone know of any places that might shave my parts cost down a little?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check these guys out. http://www.iwerearendsonly.com/

You can get Quality Gears from Lordco but price depends on your discount rate there.

If you plan on doing this make up a set of, set-up bearings these make getting pinion depth measurement so much ezer. Research all the tools needed some can be made others will need to be bought.

91/4 rear end gear change sheet. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gyViORvtU/edit

Where are you in BC?

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-05-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 AM
sangheraent

I read that article a couple of times and I had a couple places were I went huh? plus Im not known for precision. I think I am going to let the shop that quoted me $1500 handle it.

I am In abbotsford BC. right on the border, its great because the shop down the street quoted me 2500 and the US shop quoted me 1500.

Quick Reply: Gearing help