2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2nd Gen Ram Picture thread!!! Pic whore's unite.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM
clipper77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New axle :

Name:  IMG_1249_zpsd43e2bc5.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  166.1 KB

Old 09-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clipper77
Don't think I've added to this thread yet...here it goes!

Working:

Side shot (have since removed that goofy white bumper cover):

Pile of goodies waiting to go in (minus new axle):
New axle :

So you're swapping in a Chevy rear 60? I can't tell. I haven't come across this kind of swap, but not saying it hasn't happened. Mind sharing what your rationale is for that axle? Will you have a separate thread to share? I don't think you have to worry about darn tone ring in the axle being truck is a 96. :woot:

Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

My 96 has the sensor in the rear diff......

Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My 96 has the sensor in the rear diff......
Thanks for the correction! I just realized he has a v10 and it's an auto, so it didn't come with a Dana80 rear. Just going off a coworker of mine. Must have really beat the dodge rear axle up to go Chevy. Hope he shares.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:41 PM
clipper77
Veteran

^ Dana 70 HD.

Picked that and the Detroit and the 4.10 up off of Craig's list for like $250, so I figured I should try my best to make it fit.

The 70U under it right now is pretty gruesome (salt water, NE winters, etc.) and has stock gears in the rear. In addition, I want to ditch the factory LSD and put something in that will give me a little bit more capability in the winter, hauling, and in the woods (even though she's a 2x, shes not exactly a pavement queen). I essentially bought the locker (it's brand new, never used) and the axle/gears came with it for free.

I will be upgrading from the 70U 3.5" tubes (IIRC) to the 4" tubes on the 70HD (same tube diameter as an 80 i think).

Guy claimed it was off of a 70's c3500 or k3500 or however Chevy denotes their trucks.

Blanked about the speed sensor,not sure how Im gunna make that work just yet, perhaps an external tone ring?

Will make a build thread when I start getting it together.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH ****!

Name:  100_5365_zps4f82eae8.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  103.7 KB

Please tell me my homemade-rigged catch can is ineffective again? That's 100 mi:

Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
OH ****!
You're using a 180° T-stat?
You're 100K missing on the clock?

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Please tell me my homemade-rigged catch can is ineffective again? That's 100 mi:
If driving mellow, I get that much in 1200 miles... if giving it some, I would get that in 300 miles (using a Moroso catch-can).
I no longer have a plenum issue, and the only oil I add is a half quart every 3 or 4 months (not much more than the catch-can takes out).

Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spillage
You're using a 180° T-stat?
You're 100K missing on the clock?

If driving mellow, I get that much in 1200 miles... if giving it some, I would get that in 300 miles (using a Moroso catch-can).
I no longer have a plenum issue, and the only oil I add is a half quart every 3 or 4 months (not much more than the catch-can takes out).
No, 195. I had only gone and got gas, and the truck had been off for several minutes before that picture. It's 160666. That's why I took the picture: 666. lol

I gotta wonder what that much oil mist means. I don't have to add any oil, but my can definitely catches some.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Ahhh, I see you came back to edit. I was like...whoa more info! lol

Roger that on the 70U condition.

Some things about the 70HD, which is a great axle btw and should do you fine from what you're throwing at it.

Dodge axles are plagued with the VSS and tone ring. So the carrier has the tone ring bolted to it and then the sensor is in the differential housing pointing at it. It basically provides info for the speedometer and ABS feedback. If you don't care about either (b/c the auto tranny has own speed sensor for shifting purposes) given it's work status, then you may consider ignoring. I haven't tested myself, but perhaps if you can test on yours already by disconnecting the VSS on the harness and see what she does. I recall someone saying around here or elsewhere they just get the ABS light, no CEL.

Dodge 70u axles come with 32 spline axleshafts. Going the Chevy 70HD moves you up to 35 spline bad boys. Why Dodge had to be different here while the other 70s are 35 spline is just another move.

I have seen builds where ppl take a non-dodge axle and create a spot for the VSS on the housing.

Here is a link to some great info about 70s if you hadn't come across it before.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...70-thread.html

I've got some other saved threads about possible ways to handle the VSS, however, they are all a decent amount of fab work, including machine shop. If you have that capability and/or interested send me a PM. This is b/c I wanted once upon a time to put in a GM 14 bolt yet still wanted to maintain street use.

^ Dana 70 HD.

Picked that and the Detroit and the 4.10 up off of Craig's list for like $250, so I figured I should try my best to make it fit.

The 70U under it right now is pretty gruesome (salt water, NE winters, etc.) and has stock gears in the rear. In addition, I want to ditch the factory LSD and put something in that will give me a little bit more capability in the winter, hauling, and in the woods (even though she's a 2x, shes not exactly a pavement queen). I essentially bought the locker (it's brand new, never used) and the axle/gears came with it for free.

I will be upgrading from the 70U 3.5" tubes (IIRC) to the 4" tubes on the 70HD (same tube diameter as an 80 i think).

Guy claimed it was off of a 70's c3500 or k3500 or however Chevy denotes their trucks.

Blanked about the speed sensor,not sure how Im gunna make that work just yet, perhaps an external tone ring?

Will make a build thread when I start getting it together.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Ahhh, I see you came back to edit. I was like...whoa more info! lol

Roger that on the 70U condition.

Some things about the 70HD, which is a great axle btw and should do you fine from what you're throwing at it.

Dodge axles are plagued with the VSS and tone ring. So the carrier has the tone ring bolted to it and then the sensor is in the differential housing pointing at it. It basically provides info for the speedometer and ABS feedback. If you don't care about either (b/c the auto tranny has own speed sensor for shifting purposes) given it's work status, then you may consider ignoring. I haven't tested myself, but perhaps if you can test on yours already by disconnecting the VSS on the harness and see what she does. I recall someone saying around here or elsewhere they just get the ABS light, no CEL.

Dodge 70u axles come with 32 spline axleshafts. Going the Chevy 70HD moves you up to 35 spline bad boys. Why Dodge had to be different here while the other 70s are 35 spline is just another move.

I have seen builds where ppl take a non-dodge axle and create a spot for the VSS on the housing.

Here is a link to some great info about 70s if you hadn't come across it before.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...70-thread.html

I've got some other saved threads about possible ways to handle the VSS, however, they are all a decent amount of fab work, including machine shop. If you have that capability and/or interested send me a PM. This is b/c I wanted once upon a time to put in a GM 14 bolt yet still wanted to maintain street use.
I believe you can put a vss in the transfer case I think I read that somewhere just like the jeep tj it might be worth looking at

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Ram Picture thread!!! Pic whore's unite.