2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Trans Rebuild Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Rebuild Kit?

Through searching, all I get is people complaining about their transmission slipping and they end up getting it rebuilt at a shop. Well mine has been slipping for a long time and my reverse is acting up too. So a friend of mine's dad will rebuild my transmission for me but I have to buy the kit myself.

Does anyone know of a good kit online? I'm also doing a motor rebuild this winter (bore out, iron rams, cam, blah blah blah) so I would like the kit to be a little heavier duty. Give me crap because I know I deserve it for posting one of these threads haha. Any help is appreciated! Budget is between 800 and 1k for parts, including torque converter, shift kit, and rebuild kit.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Look in the FAQ/DIY section. There are a bunch of threads in there about tranny's. Look for the one with MonteC. I think on page 6 of that thread it tells you some nice upgrades for a 46RE. But read them all.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

People get crap on here for asking questions?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand money may be an issue, but if you're beefing up the motor why not order something from PATC and never have to worry about it?

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monte C has some excellent suggestions for upgrades, and that is where I learned about www.wittrans.com for parts. Some easy upgrades include increased frictions and steels in direct clutch and upgrading planetary set (to the 47RE planetary).

Also consider upgrading frictions and installing Sonnax Sure Cure for valve body.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM
FireDodge
Captain

Originally Posted by stewie01
I understand money may be an issue, but if you're beefing up the motor why not order something from PATC and never have to worry about it?

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

I have been eyeballing those transmissions for quite some time now, but yes, money is a big issue. My friends dad will only charge me for labor, but I have to buy the parts. I would love to have a trans like those, but its way out of range. Plus most of my money will be going to the motor sadly.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
FireDodge
Captain

Also I should point out that I know pretty much nothing about transmissions. So terminology doesn't quite click with me... So punching in numbers on wittrans.com doesn't add up in my head. But I did end up totaling just under 1k for the parts on his list. I was hoping for a little less, but if that's what I actually need....

Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to suggest talking to GDstock.. He did his own rebuild with some upgrades. Montec in FAQ like zman suggested has a good list of upgrades for these transmissions.. If you save up a little more you could just get an entry level PATC.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FireDodge
Also I should point out that I know pretty much nothing about transmissions. So terminology doesn't quite click with me... So punching in numbers on wittrans.com doesn't add up in my head. But I did end up totaling just under 1k for the parts on his list. I was hoping for a little less, but if that's what I actually need....

Not knowing much about trannys, the website can be daunting. I would suggest calling WITTRANS. Sales guys are pretty good and know their stuff. Overhaul kit should be around $200 for a decent rebuild kit. You can order any single piece from them if you discover something else damaged that is not part of the kit, such as hard parts.

Last edited by gdstock; 12-26-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:03 AM
FireDodge
Captain

Officially lost reverse and drive is getting worse. I was looking on the PATC website and was looking at their rebuild kits. They have a combo kit to rebuild it up to their MegaViper specs for $941 or rebuild it to their standard Level 2 Viper for $726. What are your opinions about those?
Kit codes: #K46 and K46-2

Quick Reply: Trans Rebuild Kit?