2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cummins, CAT, International NaviStar, Hemi, Allison, Aisin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Renault tractors. In France, IDK in America.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My well diesel driving experience is limited thus far to a fully loaded 26' Penske Rental Truck, can't find anything on the web but if memory serves right it's got a Freightliner under the hood, it was a pretty sweet truck

Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
blindsided
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the worst purchases made by a former employer was an Iveco box truck, now that was a piece of Italian junk. One of the most unreliable vehicles I've ever had the displeasure of driving.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is CAT back in the on-road market yet? They dropped out a few years back. We have the paccar engines in our 386 peterbilts. They're not bad with a 10 speed behind them. Miss my old 550/18 western star though.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Is CAT back in the on-road market yet? They dropped out a few years back. We have the paccar engines in our 386 peterbilts. They're not bad with a 10 speed behind them. Miss my old 550/18 western star though.
As far as I know they are not.. They still do other off-road vehicles but no longer make over the road engines.. Blame it on the EPA and government BS.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAT is off-road now for the reasons dlyter09 stated.

If you want a fuel hog rent a GM UHaul. They use up tons of fuel.. And I don't even know what size of engine they have...

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by techningeer
CAT is off-road now for the reasons dlyter09 stated.

If you want a fuel hog rent a GM UHaul. They use up tons of fuel.. And I don't even know what size of engine they have...
I don't know what size engine they use either, but it's gasoline, uHaul is too cheap for diesel. The 20' uHaul has a 6.8l V10 and they don't do too awful bad on fuel, and I would know, took one up the interstate from Ga to Va, then back to Ga from Va. Don't ask. Actually, last trip up I pulled a 6'x12' uHaul trailer with the Ram, got about 10mpg, probably about the same as the Ford V10.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

In 2014 Dodge is ending its contract w/ Cummins and Ford gets the rights to put one in their Light duty pickups. Dodge will then have a Mercedes diesel in them. This I read in a Diesel Power Magazine. Just to clear things up. Really wish Dodge would put a 5.9 back in their engine bay but with emissions I know it's only a dream...Cummins FTW in anything! lol

Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Mopar01
In 2014 Dodge is ending its contract w/ Cummins and Ford gets the rights to put one in their Light duty pickups. Dodge will then have a Mercedes diesel in them. This I read in a Diesel Power Magazine. Just to clear things up. Really wish Dodge would put a 5.9 back in their engine bay but with emissions I know it's only a dream...Cummins FTW in anything! lol
I see articles about this dating back to 2006 on a casual search..... all of them flatly stating dodge will drop cummins "next year".... etc. Newest one was 09 though, and I can't find anything more recent than that. Given that the dollar is getting pretty weak against the euro..... the Iveco engines would be more expensive... so, not sure dodge is actually going to pull that stunt or not...

One thing that was universal though, EVERYONE posting about it figured it would be marketing suicide to drop cummins from the dodge trucks....

Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I see articles about this dating back to 2006 on a casual search..... all of them flatly stating dodge will drop cummins "next year".... etc. Newest one was 09 though, and I can't find anything more recent than that. Given that the dollar is getting pretty weak against the euro..... the Iveco engines would be more expensive... so, not sure dodge is actually going to pull that stunt or not...

One thing that was universal though, EVERYONE posting about it figured it would be marketing suicide to drop cummins from the dodge trucks....
Yup, everyone would be buying Fords with Cummins, that'd be pretty sweet

Quick Reply: Cummins, CAT, International NaviStar, Hemi, Allison, Aisin...