2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cummins, CAT, International NaviStar, Hemi, Allison, Aisin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Couldnt agree more.. The liberty was a joke with the diesel engine... A halfton with a Cummins 6bt would be sweet.. Just wouldnt be practical.. Dodge wont re design their frames to accecpt such a heavy and big motor.. They will just throw something in their that is smaller and like BigRed said it would be a disaster..
I don't think there is any difference between the half-ton, three-quarter, and one-ton frames. I think the big differences are axles, and springs.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are very right HeyYou. The frames are all the same. Only difference is some one-tons have a different frame cross-support, they have different emmisions requirements, and the axles and springs. So I might just have to drop a 6ft dually bed on our 1/2 ton and Dana 80 out back and a Dana 60 up front, and do a 4 door conversion .... Man that would be SWEET!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
You are very right HeyYou. The frames are all the same. Only difference is some one-tons have a different frame cross-support, they have different emmisions requirements, and the axles and springs. So I might just have to drop a 6ft dually bed on our 1/2 ton and Dana 80 out back and a Dana 60 up front, and do a 4 door conversion .... Man that would be SWEET!
It may be sweet but it would be kinda pointless

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha Memories maybe?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
dlyter09
Champion

No.. I mean yea it would be cool to have an all but would it be worth all that work to have a truck that looks like a 3500 but can only work like a 1500?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the newish diesels suck donky rounds.. thank you to the ever present EPA.. DPF's, or injections, whichever your poison, impacts hugely.. the silly high pressure at the rails makes it difficult to use anything but ultra low sulfur, or risk major engine issues..

that said- on my '09 super duty 6.4, I have deleted the DPF, EGR, and tuned the crap out of it.. I'm pushing almost 600hp to the wheels, and over 1k# of tq.. this is a daily driver.. i just ran it to the u p (1500 miles one way) and averaged 19mpgs.. I can boost to 60 or so psi, but I defuel around 38psi for the sake of the head gaskets.. this rig weighs 8200# dry, but is a true 13 second truck, and nails 0-60 right at the 5 second mark consistently... i can pull anything i've encountered so far, and hardly know it's back there..

this is the last of the navstar international engines in ford.. they are now made independent.. the 6.7 is a decent rig, but nowhere near the possible power of the 6.4- and you can't easily remove a thing from it like you can the 6.4.. the 6.0's a strong, but are a calamity waiting to happen..

insofar as dodge: the magnum 5.9's i would select over a hemi any day if you have a truck used like one.. the hemi power curve is much too high by my reckoning.. the simplicity of the magnum trumps it too.. for a car or performance engine, the hemi trumps- but not for a truck..

Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Drew are you talking about the new ford 6.7? Not the Cummins right?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

The 6.7 Scorpion is a decent engine but the main bearings in them are complete crap is you do anything over stock. We have a 2011 at the farm and she does anything we throw at her.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Drew are you talking about the new ford 6.7? Not the Cummins right?
yeah- the ford, not the cummins.. i work with a dude with a brand new cummins.. other than the uera injection, it's a nice rig.. plenty of power- not ridiculous power like my 6.4, but instead enough to do any reasonable job, and last a long dang time in the process..

the epa is going to kill diesels, though.. hide and watch.. that industry is experiencing the same thing the gassers did in the mid to late seventies, and followed up through the eighties.. smog pumps= regenerations... it kills the life of the engine, and whacks the power hugely..

Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by drewactual
yeah- the ford, not the cummins.. i work with a dude with a brand new cummins.. other than the uera injection, it's a nice rig.. plenty of power- not ridiculous power like my 6.4, but instead enough to do any reasonable job, and last a long dang time in the process..

the epa is going to kill diesels, though.. hide and watch.. that industry is experiencing the same thing the gassers did in the mid to late seventies, and followed up through the eighties.. smog pumps= regenerations... it kills the life of the engine, and whacks the power hugely..
Well your truck got a good amount of work done to it... And I agree that diesels are going downhill quick.. With all the new emissions crap going on them and deletes harder and harder to get will keep me from buying one..

Quick Reply: Cummins, CAT, International NaviStar, Hemi, Allison, Aisin...