2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Squeeling belt...need input

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, and P.S.- Thank you all for the help. I know this crap has been covered to death.

Except for Stewie, your just being an @ss!!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

I just got one from advance..... it works fine, but, the main spring housing for the tensioner is larger diameter than the stocker, have to space the coil out a quarter inch, else the tensioner rubs on it. Not a good idea.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I just got one from advance..... it works fine, but, the main spring housing for the tensioner is larger diameter than the stocker, have to space the coil out a quarter inch, else the tensioner rubs on it. Not a good idea.
Did you get the Light Duty or the Heavy Duty. I'm seeing both on their site but only the LD at the store.

I'm wondering if the Heavy Duty would be better...Or maybe its just a BS marketing gimmick. I mean no one else has LD vs. HD tensioners.

The wifes gonna kill me. Another belt, another tensioner. Plus needing all new steering linkage and alignment....What next???? (Please dont answer that)

Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

I don't recall being given a choice....

Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not on my Ram, but on my Yota, I just replaced the bearing. I think it was a 6203 (common bearing). Is there a bearing suppy place near you? I have thought about pulling mine off the Ram and replacing it...wait...I may have. I cannot remember. But whichever one it was it was a 6203 bearing.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking to buy a new belt and tensioner, I would buy the tensioner first to see if it fixes it. If it doesn't return it and buy a belt.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Ok update: I just spent the last several hours looking into this. The belt looks good. So does the tensioner. Started checking pulley alignment. JACKPOT!!!! I hope anyway. Tha a/c pully was out.

What happened is one of the times I pulled the a/c compressor and bolted it back on, I bolted it out of alignment. Even though there is NO normal adjustment in it, there is enough slop for it to be moved back and forth about 1/16".

Summary: It was making noise when I took it apart today. I found the a/c pulley out. Moved it back about 1/16". Put it back together and started it. NO MORE NOISE!!!! Hopfully it was the problem.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigabop
sounds like it...might be dragging or not in good alignment with the rest of the pulleys causing the belts to wear faster...once the coating on the belts are gone they start to squeal...another bandaid to stop squeal is holding a crayon against the belt while its running.. crayon coats it in wax which stops the squeal.
close to what I first said

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jigabop
close to what I first said
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But see, why should I listen to you? You've got a cummins!! Cough (@sshole) Cough...

Last edited by kejobe; 02-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejobe
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But see, why should I listen to you? You've got a cummins!! Cough (@sshole) Cough...

aside from the sexiness that is a cummins...we all have the same crap dodge accessories bolted on to our motors

and the cummins ain't my only ride...got a chevy S10 too.. 4 banger gas guzzler. would have had the same issue on it but I caught it before putting the belt on...

put a new alternator on it and the belt was a rib out of alignment. bent pulley. returned for another one. new one lined up perfect.

Quick Reply: Squeeling belt...need input