2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

to large of tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM
PmuLLin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really that hard? I don't mind investing in proper tools as Long as before I can have instructions of some sort, taught my self everything else

Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Procedure is in the service manual.... Download the 01, and read thru the process. It isn't that it is really difficult....... gears are just REALLY REALLY REALLY picky about how they are set up. Do it not quite perfect, and you can smoke your gears in pretty short order. Get it set up right, and they will last pretty much forever. Tools for the job can be a bit pricey....... compare the cost of tools, with paying someone else to do the job, gonna be a close call.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a browse through this as well as the FSM.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM
PmuLLin
Rookie

might get laughed at for this but a guy a work said a power programer/tuner might help out a little but as long as i could get one that i could change the tire size summit had one for a couple hundered, stupid idea??

Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
If you've never done gears before than I don't recommend doing it yourself unless you have a friend or someone who has done them multiple times. Find a reputable shop that has done gear swaps before and knows how to properly brake them in, etc.
Originally Posted by PmuLLin
Is it really that hard? I don't mind investing in proper tools as Long as before I can have instructions of some sort, taught my self everything else

I have torn into nearly everything automotove - except the differential. Not that I would be afraid to do so, just have not had the need. But if I wewre to do it, I would try it on a project car, not my daily driver. I have worked on large industrial gearboxes, but these do tend to be quite unforgiving, with serious consequences if not done proprely.
That said, the best way to learn is do. But having someone with you that has done it before would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by PmuLLin
might get laughed at for this but a guy a work said a power programer/tuner might help out a little but as long as i could get one that i could change the tire size summit had one for a couple hundered, stupid idea??
Some programmers can compensate the speedo for change in tire size, but this does nothing to reduce the drivetrain strain created by increased tire size. THis is not a solution.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
PmuLLin
Rookie

Alright then ill probably just have to stick with the tires I have now since ill be starting the whole starving technical college student thing again, can't spend 4k for tires and gears ha, unless anyone wants to donate!!! Can 2500 switch to 35's without a problem?

Last edited by PmuLLin; 03-02-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: to large of tires