2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Possibly buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Need some advice. Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 AM
SolidSnake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Need some advice. Pics included.

Hey guys and gals, just joined the forum today and thought I'd stop by and say hello and hopefully get some advice about a truck I'm potentially about to purchase. It's definitely a fixer upper but, I was looking for a project truck and for 680$ it's not in that bad of shape.

So, for starters the only thing wrong with it (mechanically at least) is the water pump. Parts are already on the way and the water pump is relatively easy to replace to so I'm not real worried about that. My real question is, what are some common problems I should be on the look out for.

This is my first time owning a Dodge vehicle of any kind and like any car/truck, they each have their own set of problems.

The vehicle currently has 137,000 miles and the transmission was rebuilt at 100k. Oil has been replaced at steady intervals but besides that it didn't have a very steady maintenance schedule.

If you have time, take a look at some of the pictures I took and let me know if you see anything that sticks out to you. Anyways the more I know, the better and any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's the link to all the pics. http://bit.ly/102aS1p

Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.
00-01's are the best, with better brakes.

replace timing set, front seal, and replace plenum gasket/plate with the aluminum plate. your timing chain will be shot.
consider replacing valve cover gaskets with the good rubber felpro's. yours are seeping a little bit.

pics
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ater-pump.html

Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the transmission has already had to be rebuilt, id suggest addressing the check valve that is in one of the tranny lines on the pass side of the engine compartment. there are plenty of threads addressing this. also consider adding on a tranny cooler to make that rebuild last longer. plenum is a must as well, as already stated

Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Welcome to DF! Please read the plenum sticky and use the search function for any other questions you may have. If the water pump is shot, go ahead and do the plenum pan/gasket and timing chain while your in there.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
SolidSnake

Quick question. My buddy already had the plenum and gasket replaced. Would I still need to remove it to replace the timing chain?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. You don't need to remove the intake manifold to get to the timing set, but it is recommended to replace the plenum pan (with aluminum) and timing set at the time same since it's only a few more bolts and what not til you get to the timing set.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by SolidSnake
Quick question. My buddy already had the plenum and gasket replaced. Would I still need to remove it to replace the timing chain?
no.
after the water pump is off, there's only a handful of bolts to remove the harmonic balancer and timing cover. you'll need a balancer puller, which can be borrowed/rented from local parts stores, plus you need to remove the large crank bolt (1-1/4 socket). use an impact wrench or have a way to hold the engine from turning.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 AM
SolidSnake

So, once I get the timing gears and chain on, replace the water pump, bolt everything back up, and crank the engine, do I need to do a fuel sync? I have noticed a few threads about people replacing their t-chains on our trucks and getting poor performance once they start it due to the fuel sync being off.

Is there anyway I can remove the timing chain without messing with the fuel sync. If not and I have to drive it to a shop for them to do it, will driving the truck in that condition damage it?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you replace the chain right you won't have to do anything Except bolt everything back up

Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

to replace timing chain:

remove water pump.
remove large crank bolt. (hold engine from turning).
remove harmonic balancer (special tool). PROTECT CRANK THREADS.
remove timing cover.
remove spark plugs to turn engine easier.
temporarily reinstall large crank bolt for turning engine.
clean the face of the timing sprockets and mark the dots.
rotate engine to line up the dots. crank at 12, cam at 6. not that it matters, but this is TDC #6.
remove cam sprocket bolt.

---from this point on, do NOT rotate the engine.

remove old timing set (sprockets and chain engaged) and lay it down flat and still engaged.

layout your new timing set beside the old one, and position your keyways in the same general place.

on your new timing set - find the timing dots stamped into the sprockets, and mark them so they are highly visible.

look at the new crank sprocket, note the number of key ways. if more than 1 - mark the 0 degree advance, and use it. unless you really know what you are doing - don't use the +4 or -4 degree advance or retard.

reinstall your new timing set, either by sliding it all on at once, or one piece at a time. the new chain will be very tight, so you may have to work at it a little.

verify the the dots are perfectly aligned. if not - stop and fix it.
take a picture of it so you know for sure that its right.

reinstall cam bolt and torque it correctly. i think i used a little thread locker.
replace the front seal in the timing cover.
reinstall timing cover with new gasket.
reinstall water pump.
reinstall spark plugs.
reinstall harmonic balancer.

do not turn the engine while chain is removed.
do not turn the distributor.
this will not affect fuel sync.

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  54.8 KB

Last edited by dhvaughan; 06-20-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Need some advice. Pics included.