2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

need some help...question about a 2001 1500 sport

Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help...question about a 2001 1500 sport

ok. i'm checking out this truck for possible purchase. it's not in bad shape 2001 sport with the 5.9. little to no rust with 125k. only real problem that i could see was the dash was all broke up. but i noticed when i went out to look at it, the truck doesn't have any rear doors. my old 99 had the quad cab, but this 2001 did not have the little doors on the extended cab. when i questioned the seller, she said it's b/c the off road package. but every other off road package i try to look up (ebay or elsewhere) all show the extended cab with the quad cab doors.

carfax shows everything is good & the vehicle is a one owner vehicle. can anyone advise if what she is telling me is correct?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

There were three cab configurations possible with the 1994-2001 Rams at various times: regular cab, club cab, and later a quad cab. Regular is two door, club is extended cab without doors, and quad cab is a little larger extended cab with all doors.

It has nothing to do with the off road package. Sounds like you have a club cab on your hands there. The off road package, if it actually is an off road package (have you confirmed this with Chrysler or anyone else besides the seller?) came with unique Off Road rims, about 2" or a little less extra ride height, and 4.10 gears. Any pictures of the truck?

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Will move you to the correct section.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

hmm, something is not right. carfax & a VIN decoder show that the truck i'm looking at should actually have a 5.2L, not a 5.9. it says that the trim level is base. so i may have to look into this a little more....or even just pass on it.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIN decoders are worthless.

There is a link on here somewhere to email Dodge the VIN number and they will decode it for you. I'd have to find it.

*edit*
here we go

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-my-truck.html

The VIN code "Z" is a 5.9. Code Y I think it is, is 5.2. I forget which digit it is in the VIN, but it's right in the middle of the VIN.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the seller has NO idea what he's talking about or he's just trying to pull a fast one on you....

Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Engine code is 8th digit of VIN.

I don't recall EVER seeing a 98+ extended cab truck that DIDN'T have the extra doors.... of course, just because I haven't seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist..... I would run a carfax, or something similar, and see if the truck was ever wrecked... maybe someone did a cab swap?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

well, there is no Z in the middle of the VIN, but there is a Y. something isn't right b/c i remember looking at the emissions sticker under the hood & it saying 5.9L. thanks for the link. but i also remember carfax said 5.2L too. i think i may have to pass on this one.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

yup. i did a car fax. it shows it's a one owner no accident vehicle. another weird thing is i was checking out a truck on ebay. ebay's autocheck said that truck had 3 owners & one accident. but carfax showed that was also was one owner & no accidents. that makes no sense either. seems like i'm not having any luck finding correct info on trucks i'm interested in, lol.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

yea forget that truck....i spotted this one the other day...has a little rust by the driver rear wheel but if you arent afraid of a little body work, this one could be a steal. And it has the rare "sport + offroad" packages. This is exactly what I was looking for when I was trying to find my truck but I couldnt find anything in the northeast that had both packages, the 5.9, and was still fairly priced. I had to settle for just the offroad package with the 5.9

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3960078334.html

or, if you have a little extra cash

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3973723743.html

Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Engine code is 8th digit of VIN.

I don't recall EVER seeing a 98+ extended cab truck that DIDN'T have the extra doors.... of course, just because I haven't seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist..... I would run a carfax, or something similar, and see if the truck was ever wrecked... maybe someone did a cab swap?
The Club Cab was available until late 2000. Basically it was nixed for the 2001 model run. It was available for all trucks after 98.
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
yup. i did a car fax. it shows it's a one owner no accident vehicle. another weird thing is i was checking out a truck on ebay. ebay's autocheck said that truck had 3 owners & one accident. but carfax showed that was also was one owner & no accidents. that makes no sense either. seems like i'm not having any luck finding correct info on trucks i'm interested in, lol.
CarFax is just about useless. People don't report stuff and it gets out of hand.
Originally Posted by CSDavies26
yea forget that truck....i spotted this one the other day...has a little rust by the driver rear wheel but if you arent afraid of a little body work, this one could be a steal. And it has the rare "sport + offroad" packages. This is exactly what I was looking for when I was trying to find my truck but I couldnt find anything in the northeast that had both packages, the 5.9, and was still fairly priced. I had to settle for just the offroad package with the 5.9

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3960078334.html

or, if you have a little extra cash

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3973723743.html
The black one is nice. I love the "speaker boxes".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some help...question about a 2001 1500 sport