2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oh God...is my transmission on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Smart father there. Good plan don't deviate from it and like Zman says don't forget the drain plug.
Ain't gonna bother with a drain plug right now since it will need to be rebuilt. lol

How easy/hard is it to delete the check valve? Just unbolt it with a pan under it?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Ain't gonna bother with a drain plug right now since it will need to be rebuilt. lol

How easy/hard is it to delete the check valve? Just unbolt it with a pan under it?
Man you are S***ing me right? You still have the inline check valve? Pull it out today asap like deal. There is a diy on this done by Aim I think. yes just uncouple it from the line and replace with a brass barbed fitting and some high psi hose and two good clamps. You can't say it needs a rebuild yet, I know of a couple of trucks that have well over 300KM on there tranys and they still work just fine

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-08-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: wording fix
Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 210,xxx MILES on stock tranny with radiator sized trans cooler though on it it's whole life

Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Man you are S***ing me right? You still have the inline check valve? Pull it out today asap like deal. There is a diy on this done by Aim I think. yes just uncouple it from the line and replace with a brass barbed fitting and some high psi hose and two good clamps. You can't say it needs a rebuild yet, I know of a couple of trucks that have well over 300KM on there tranys and they still work just fine
Nope. I still got it.
I do have a delay getting into gear for the first start of the day, so sometimes I wonder if it's drilled out. I was gonna drill it out to delete it that way I don't have to piece parts together.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Nope. I still got it.
I do have a delay getting into gear for the first start of the day, so sometimes I wonder if it's drilled out. I was gonna drill it out to delete it that way I don't have to piece parts together.
I would think without that check valve it would take a second or two to go into gear everytime it started wouldnt it?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by Johnn123
I would think without that check valve it would take a second or two to go into gear every time it started wouldn't it?
No check valve here and no delay for gear selection. In the winter I do let it warm in N just to help it out.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the check valve too I think.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Do you have a shiftkit? Because I know the Sonnax kit will allow the TC to pump in park.

What I've been doing for the last several months is just starting the truck and immediately putting it in neutral, then doing my normal stuff, then reverse.

What I've decided to do is change the fluid and filter and delete the check valve. Do I need a new pan gasket when I drop the pan?

What I'm also going to do is keep the miles off the truck and just use the 76 to run around in. Doesn't have air, but oh well. That's my punishment for beating my trans up in my Ram. And I'll do that until I get a job, then I'll have to go back to driving the Ram.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Do you have a shiftkit? Because I know the Sonnax kit will allow the TC to pump in park.

What I've been doing for the last several months is just starting the truck and immediately putting it in neutral, then doing my normal stuff, then reverse.

What I've decided to do is change the fluid and filter and delete the check valve. Do I need a new pan gasket when I drop the pan?
What I have/did for a replacement trany was have the Dodge boys order up a remanufactured trany not a rebuilt trany. I picked the deep pan and the stall speed for the tq converter then I let them pick whatever internal parts they wanted to change out. Rubber gasket or not I always use a new gasket for whatever I am working on cheap insurance.

Edit: I never NEVER use sealant of any type on a trany pan gasket, did I say never. No A/C here black truck and its up in the 90's without the humidex added in, and I am just starting the dana swap fun.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-08-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

What I have/did for a replacement trany was have the Dodge boys order up a remanufactured trany not a rebuilt trany. I picked the deep pan and the stall speed for the tq converter then I let them pick whatever internal parts they wanted to change out. Rubber gasket or not I always use a new gasket for whatever I am working on cheap insurance.
Okay. How much was your trans and when did you have it done?

Okay I will go ahead and buy a new gasket.

Quick Reply: Oh God...is my transmission on its way out?