2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

toolboxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If you're anywhere near a city or crime, stay away from 95% of the toolboxes on the market. If you live in the country and wave to people on the road, go ahead and get any of the following:
-Delta standard
-TSC
-Champion
-Betterbuilt
-Garrison Owens
-Husky
-Kobalt
-Tradesman
-Lund
-Deezee
-UWS

If you live in a nice area, but want a strong and longer lasting box showing you care about where your hard-earned dollars go, get one of these:
-Delta Champion
-Taylor Wings
-Weatherguard
-Delta Pro

If you need to safeguard your expensive tools, and have been robbed before, get one of these:
-American Truckbox
-Protech
-Taylor Wings T-handle

If you want the strongest, thickest and best locking mechanism available today, get:
-Highway Products

Since my toolbox was easily broken into and then stolen, I have been researching the industry and have boiled down quality to two things: the material thickness and the latch. Anything less than a T-handle is inferior but can be made better with thicker grade aluminum. The second best latch is the automotive style (Delta Pro and Weatherguard style) but these are sometimes compromised by material thickness (Weatherguard uses the thinnest grade on the market but add lots of gussets). The best combo is the 1/8" marine grade aluminum and a T-handle. Then you have to look at the locking mechanism and determine the most theft-proof design. Of these, Highway Products uses the strongest and safest, followed by the others.

So there you have it. Chances are you'll get something affordable, which means you better not store anything in it worth more than $20. Additionally, having a "cheap" box just invites people to open it whether you have anything in it or not.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a freebie Husky box on mine. Its really deep so I can carry about anything I want but it does somewhat diminish hauling capability. Its JUST narrow enough that I can fit a ratchet strap hook in the stake holes, but has a vicious capacity. I bet I could fit AT LEAST 3 bodies in it if I had to.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how bodies are a unit of measurement.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

i wonder how hard it would be to wire in a plunger switch from a car alarm (which i was going to have installed) to the box door. so if it's opened, it will set off the alarm.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
i wonder how hard it would be to wire in a plunger switch from a car alarm (which i was going to have installed) to the box door. so if it's opened, it will set off the alarm.
If you have the extra input capability on your alarm, it would be dead simple.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

yup. already talked to my guy that does all my alarms & he said he can do it. i'm thinking i'm just going to go through route. i'm only keeping my "junkyard" tool bag in it along with straps & parts for my trailer. so i'm not keeping anything too expensive. but i wouldn't want to loose my tools.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrap a chain around mine a couple times, most thieves wont take the time to cut the chain and then have to unwrap it. But like everyone else, nothing too valuable in there.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I find it funny when people will attach a hasp and a simple padlock to a toolbox as if that will deter anybody! When the dirty rotten meth-heads broke into my trailer they simply cut the wimpy padlock. Adding a hasp that's screwed in to flimsy sheet aluminum is about as effective as using zip ties.

If you really want to secure something, you need a steel jobox site box. I've seen a few bolted to truck beds around here.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a below the rail toolbox and will let you know if you ever plan on putting wood in the bed it sucks, never thought about it when I had a regular mid depth box, now I always have to ride with the tailgate down when I'm moving wood. Lucky for me I don't haul that much wood anymore.

And yea wiring up the toolbox to my alarm is what I did, my alarm came with a hood switch and I'm really not worried about anyone stealing my engine over night so I wired the switch up the toolbox. It works like a charm and I just spray the switch every couple of months when I spray the locks in my bed down with wd40. Hasn't thwarted nothing but friends trying to get my liquor.

Just a heads up if you mount a hood switch, mount it at the opposite side of the hinge, if not the cheap plastic plungers will bend. And never lock the toolbox unless whats in it costs more than the box. Most thieves popping toolboxes will just pry the lid open and destroy the box.

Name:  Photo0620.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  Photo0794.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  98.0 KB

Last edited by redheadhunter21; 08-14-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

thanks for the pictures. i was really looking at a flush mount at 1st. you have to drill into the bed in order to mount them, right?

Quick Reply: toolboxes