2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Exhaust Cut-Out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Big Joe C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Cut-Out?

I'm thinkin about puttin in a cut-out after my cat just to have some fun with. I don't wanna put in an electric one because they're expensive and the ones with covers seem like a pain with havin to unbolt um every time you wanna uncork it. So I'm thinkin an old school cable style one from Jegs. Mr. Gasket makes one too but its only 2" Thoughts? Advice? Anyone runnin them?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...30862/10002/-1

Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

That's a 2.5" cutout. What size is your exhaust pipe after the cat?
And that's cast iron, hope you know someone who's good with brazing or can weld that. Not sure how easily that would hold together with exhaust clamps..

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

My pipe is 2.5". I don't wanna get a 2.25" to slip inside because its smaller and probably restrictive. So I'm thinkin get the 2.5 and couple it on. I've got torchers, stick welder, and Lincoln mig, but like you said its brazing. Might jus have to take it to a shop to install.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Those things are illegal around here.....

Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Those things are illegal around here.....
Dont think they're legal in most places. It's the same concept as running just straight pipes which are also not legal in most places. But if your area cops aren't naht-zees about straight pipe'd trucks then you should get by fine with a cutout.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had one on my ram check out my youtube for vids ! i had it before my cat after my longtubes boy was it a nasty good sound, evreyone at lights would ask me if it was cammed having 1.7 hs and open headers haha . but i had to take it off to pass emmisions i had my fun though

Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

Haha lastrights I've seen your awesome vids. You kno how I feel haha! When I did my exhaust I had finished the headers (shorties) the new Jegs y pipe and Magnaflow hi flow spun cat. I started it up and let it run to check for leaks then took it down the road for some fun. I could not get enough of that beefy throaty hollow big block sound commin out of the 318!!! After I finished it with the super 10 and duals out the back it still sounds really good. But I thrive for that sound again. I think I took a vid of it, I gotta post it. Now if I do put it on and put it after the cat and O2s, will it be alright at e-check???

Last edited by Big Joe C; 01-13-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Gotta check with your county emissions/inspection laws. Everywhere is different. They might just look at your cutout and immediately say they wont pass you.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Joe C
Haha lastrights I've seen your awesome vids. You kno how I feel haha! When I did my exhaust I had finished the headers (shorties) the new Jegs y pipe and Magnaflow hi flow spun cat. I started it up and let it run to check for leaks then took it down the road for some fun. I could not get enough of that beefy throaty hollow big block sound commin out of the 318!!! After I finished it with the super 10 and duals out the back it still sounds really good. But I thrive for that sound again. I think I took a vid of it, I gotta post it. Now if I do put it on and put it after the cat and O2s, will it be alright at e-check???
Yep, you gotta check your own inspection rules. For example, here in NC, cutouts will fail.

19A NCAC 03D .0541 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROLS
(a) An exhaust emission shall not be approved if the vehicle is a 1968 year model or newer and any of the visible emission control devices placed thereon by the manufacturer are missing, disconnected, made inoperative or have been altered withoutapproval of the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources.
(b) If the unleaded gas restrictor on a vehicle manufactured after model year 1967 has been altered or removed a new or reconditioned catalytic converter and unleaded gas restrictor must be replaced before the vehicle passes inspection.
(c) An exhaust system shall not be approved if:
(1) The vehicle has no muffler.
(2) The muffler, exhaust or tail pipes have leaking joints.
(3) The exhaust or tail pipes have holes, leaking seams or leaking patches on muffler.
(4) The tail pipe end is pinched.
(5) The exhaust system is equipped with muffler cut-out or muffler by-pass.
(6) Any part of the system passes through the passenger compartment

Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted one of those to just mess around with too.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cut-Out?