2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Who has owned their Secondgen the longest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

We bought our 95 in 2014. My father in law was the original owner of it though. It's back to being mechanically sound now except needing new rear shackles. I want to build a garage before I start body work. I'd like to build a rear bumper and fix the A/C this summer. Right now the electric fans are controlled with a temp switch from a 1990 camaro. Once I fix the A/C I'll install the Dakota Digital controller I bought so the fans come on with the A/C. I might get a set of shorty headers and dual exhaust also.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:49 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned my 1994 since Dec 7,1993,and still have it, with many mods.25 plus years.Its a toy now,and still a blast to drive............

Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I bought my 2001 in 2008, so 10 years I have owned this truck. And we have both been though hell in back. Its slowly being consumed by the rust cancer though.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:06 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaldir
I bought my 2001 in 2008, so 10 years I have owned this truck. And we have both been though hell in back. Its slowly being consumed by the rust cancer though.
Bought mine in 2014. Fighting the rust cancer too. I'm going to try to fix mine though before it gets too bad.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:23 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Default I've owned my '01 1500 since March of 2005.

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Bought mine in 2014. Fighting the rust cancer too. I'm going to try to fix mine though before it gets too bad.
And I'm starting to get a bunch of rust on the bottoms of the door panels. I already wire-brushed and treated the driver's side with rust inhibtor to delay the rot until I can properly repair it, but I really need to hurry up because the passenger side is getting a lot worse now. My plan is to wire brush all of the rust away, apply rust inhibitor, smooth with Bondo as necessary, and then apply Monstaliner up to the door moulding. Hopefully that will put an end to it. The rest of the body/frame is in great shape, with the exception of several minor dings and dents from 14 years of service as a work truck. The clear coat is starting to peel on the roof and bed rails...maybe I'll coat those areas with Monstaliner, too.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Door rust usually starts on the INSIDE of the door....... So, be sure and take a look inside as well.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DodgeFanMP
And I'm starting to get a bunch of rust on the bottoms of the door panels. I already wire-brushed and treated the driver's side with rust inhibtor to delay the rot until I can properly repair it, but I really need to hurry up because the passenger side is getting a lot worse now. My plan is to wire brush all of the rust away, apply rust inhibitor, smooth with Bondo as necessary, and then apply Monstaliner up to the door moulding. Hopefully that will put an end to it. The rest of the body/frame is in great shape, with the exception of several minor dings and dents from 14 years of service as a work truck. The clear coat is starting to peel on the roof and bed rails...maybe I'll coat those areas with Monstaliner, too.

Yeah, I hit all the rust on my rocker panels / quarter panels a few years ago with a wire brush and got all the rust cleaned up, applied POR 15 and painted over it with silver spray paint. Those panels have rusted through now, seems like it comes from the inside out. I'm looking at replacing the panels on my truck.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Yeah, I hit all the rust on my rocker panels / quarter panels a few years ago with a wire brush and got all the rust cleaned up, applied POR 15 and painted over it with silver spray paint. Those panels have rusted through now, seems like it comes from the inside out. I'm looking at replacing the panels on my truck.
When you get new panels (I got inner and outer rockets as a set for $125 on eBay) paint the insides. Don't keep them bare metal

Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
When you get new panels (I got inner and outer rockets as a set for $125 on eBay) paint the insides. Don't keep them bare metal
Thansk! When you did your panels, did you feel like you had a lot more fitting to do than you would have if you had gotten a more expensive set?

Old 11-01-2018, 02:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Thansk! When you did your panels, did you feel like you had a lot more fitting to do than you would have if you had gotten a more expensive set?
No they fit really well for eBay panels. To be honest eBay was the only place I found inner rockers. The only reason I needed inner and outer rockets want because of rust but because of off roading lol. A rock too a big chunk out on each side. Also look into CorossionX they are way better then fluid film and we even used them on the military vehicles at work.

Quick Reply: Who has owned their Secondgen the longest?