2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

comfortable 2nd Gen seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 PM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comfortable 2nd Gen seats?

Hello all.
I have a 1997 Laramie 1500, my wife does not like riding for extended distance drives because she says the seat is not comfortable.
I have the I guess you'd call it the 3 piece bench? Drivers and passenger seats adjust individually, with a stationary center section with fold down back/armres/storage.
Granted they have over 250 miles on them, so to keep her happy, I'm considering something a bit Mor comfy.
Do any of you fine people have any suggestions? Are the 3rd gen seats any better? Are they a bolt in swap

Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I'd find out exactly which section she finds uncomfortable before going to all that trouble. Could be swapping out one "pain" for another. Could be a nice aftermarket cushion is all you need.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't help with the seats yet, I'd like to find some better ones for our 95. I haven't begun searching yet though. Here is something else I've looked at though, because our trucks ride pretty rough.

http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-07

Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I think I have the one forum bookmarked and if you guys are interested I'll find it and post it, anyhow there was this guy that added air ride to his factory seats on his 2nd and 3rd gen ram. With all the parts it was right around $375 for both front seats

Old 02-12-2018, 05:50 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

How do you bookmark forum posts? Yes, I'd be interested.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
How do you bookmark forum posts? Yes, I'd be interested.
I'm going to hazard a guess he's referring to another forum he has bookmarked on his browser. Not a bookmarked forum post.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Corey Grizzle

Sorry for the month old revival... I had the manual adjustable split bench in my regular cab 99. I put power leather seats out of a 2000 Suburban in, and love it. I think I can get the heated function working eventually, but for now I'm super happy with power adjustment including lumbar. Together with the built in seat armrest they ride great! I might have a picture with the drivers seat in... I'll see if I can find it.

First post, I was looking for the introductions thread and found this, haha!

Old 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

How difficult was it to get them to mount? I have the leather seats in my truck, (stock dodge seats) and they just aren't very comfortable on trips of any distance.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Corey Grizzle

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How difficult was it to get them to mount? I have the leather seats in my truck, (stock dodge seats) and they just aren't very comfortable on trips of any distance.
Not all that hard. For mine, the Suburban seat rails and brackets all sit flat. The ones on the inside have tabs with a hole for a bolt. I bolted up the highest point in the floor of my truck, the inside rear, and fabbed a couple simple brackets for the front two after experimenting with leveling it out and aligning it. The outside rear bracket on the 'burb seat was unbolted and sits on the floor. Two threaded posts from the seat sit right in line on either side of the threaded post from the truck. I might make a connector of some sort one day or cut them all, but it sits solid the way it is. I'm trying not to do any permanent damage to the stock posts or to the seats in case I want to change them out for something else one day.

The brackets aren't complicated at all. I measured the distance from the bolt hole in the floor over to a point aligned with the hole in the seat bracket then measured the distance from the floor to the seat. I cut a few pieces of flat stock, welded them in an "L" shape, made sure it sat the way I wanted, then welded in a support piece. If you don't weld you could likely take the measurements to a local metal shop and have them made for fairly cheap. I didn't take the time to remake mine all pretty from the prototype yet, but they work well. Plus I got a new welder that makes much cleaner welds even with flux-core.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Corey Grizzle

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not too hard, a little bit of welding involved. The burb seats are flat, so I mounted the highest point, the inside rear, and made brackets for the front two. The outside rear sits on the threaded posts. I may or may not make some sort of connector one day. It sits solid though.

I measured from the bolt hole over to a point in line with the seat, then up from the floor to the seat. Used a porta-band to come some flat stock to length and welded them into an 'L' shape. After getting everything sitting right I welded in a support on the brackets where needed. I haven't taken the time yet to remake them all pretty from the prototype but I plan to. I recently bought a new welder that makes much cleaner welds, even using flux core.

Quick Reply: comfortable 2nd Gen seats?