2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wholesale lot special frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 PM
BrokeBolts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wholesale lot special frustrations

"Discontinued item"....fast becoming the bane of my existence. Between the body mount, to backing screws to the wheel cylinder, and since when do they not include the push links with the wheel cylinder, since I dropped and can't find the old ones. Can't find new ones anywhere at all. Ask for them at the parts store, some pimple faced kid has no idea what you're looking for, tries to sell you a spring kit, and says he's never seen a wheel cylinder that takes them. Asked one for the body mount, tries to sell me a cab corner. Junkyards in the area generally aren't keeping any parts older than 10 years, and the specialty Dodge junkyard 120 miles away quoted me $400 for the body mount....AutospecialT has one for $120. Just venting a bit...seems like for every bit of progress made, there are setbacks and delays.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

To stay sane one must avoid parts stores. If you're driving to one, better know exactly what you're after otherwise you might as well drive straight to the bar instead.

Online is where you want to hunt. Craigslist, offerup, jeep stores (often have truck stuff), etc. I did some quick searching for the cylinder pin/plunger and it seems they were never made as a replacement part. Nobody stocks them (Napa, rockauto, etc.) Even diesel forums have threads with no luck. Yikes, that's kinda scary. I rebuilt my rears last year but never touched the cylinders. SOMEBODY has to have them. . .

Old 03-01-2018, 02:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Napa sells universal fit here:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...=1&indices=API

Take one in and match it up.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 AM
BrokeBolts

Sanity.....What's that? I'm probably just getting old, but I remember when the guys at the parts store were knowledgeable, now seems they are hiring any kid that shows up off the street. I hate it when I go into a store with questions, and I know more than the guy behind the counter.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

That was before computers and you had to know what people are talking about. Now if you can move a mouse you are hired!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Good parts guys are becoming invaluable nowadays. I have worked at a couple places with decent parts guys (dealership and an indpendent shop) and they make everything go smooth. However the local napa had one guy I refused to go to. Even if everyone else had a line.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Really, it's not that bad if you think of these stores as fast food restaurants. The counter "kids" are just minimum wage part timers while the "manager" may have some culinary knowledge.

But I have to give them a break. You can't expect the front kids to know all cars and parts and be all that knowledgeable. It's just not feasible.
I can't remember technical specs, sizes, and part differences between various cars, models, and manufacturers, so how could they? I mean, I just learned that new cars have the oil filter on top of the engine! And it's in a removable canister! When did this happen?

Point is, I'm getting old and I was raised in a small town where everyone knew how to work and fix things. Times are changing which is why we stay on forums to learn what we need to know and get things done ourselves. Sermon over!

Old 03-03-2018, 04:26 PM
BrokeBolts

ordered some from Napa, they didn't fit, look in my small parts and tools tray...there they were.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 AM
BrokeBolts

The further I get, I am noticing a lot of the seized bolts and studs are cross threaded....I have been told not to rethread stripped and cross threaded wheel studs, opinions on that? I can go ahead and change them, just another added expense and frustration, but I can save the money and aggravation by rethreading, should I?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by BrokeBolts
The further I get, I am noticing a lot of the seized bolts and studs are cross threaded....I have been told not to rethread stripped and cross threaded wheel studs, opinions on that? I can go ahead and change them, just another added expense and frustration, but I can save the money and aggravation by rethreading, should I?
What's your life worth?

Quick Reply: Wholesale lot special frustrations