2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

97 Ram 3500 4 wheel drive, automatic shutdown problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Spencer Cramer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram 3500 4 wheel drive, automatic shutdown problems

97 Ram 3500 4 wheel drive automatic shutdown problems fixed. It only took about 5 months and a lot of wiring issues bad ground in wiring harness anybody else have this problem if so chat back much appreciated new to dodge forum first day on glad to be in to talk with the the other Dodge people and experts on other topics concerning Dodge

Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Bad grounds, and you live in Arizona? Was the truck from a less pleasant climate? I live in michigan, and have never really had those kinds of problems, aside from when I was adding something to the harness, and trying to find a clean spot to ground it.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Spencer Cramer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bad grounds, and you live in Arizona? Was the truck from a less pleasant climate? I live in michigan, and have never really had those kinds of problems, aside from when I was adding something to the harness, and trying to find a clean spot to ground it.
I found numerous bad grounds from computer across engine cowl two driver side if I remember right there was a total all Factory spot welded together very bad idea cut them out butt splice them back together four of the wire connections had two to three strands left crank sensor was brand new I did what I knew how to do fixing grounds sent truck to the electrician down the street he had it for 2 hours tested the crank sensor and it inadvertently was shorting out I have a new one on order will replace it and see what happens next

Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Spencer Cramer
Default 97 ram v 10 shutdown problems

Originally Posted by Spencer Cramer
I found numerous bad grounds from computer across engine cowl two driver side if I remember right there was a total all Factory spot welded together very bad idea cut them out butt splice them back together four of the wire connections had two to three strands left crank sensor was brand new I did what I knew how to do fixing grounds sent truck to the electrician down the street he had it for 2 hours tested the crank sensor and it inadvertently was shorting out I have a new one on order will replace it and see what happens next
1 31 19 better late than never I fixed the V10 shut down problems. All the pain and hassle I'm going through all the wiring from computer lacrosse engine cowl 2 driver side fix all the grounds and still had the problem. I sent the truck to a automotive electrician he diagnosed the truck and found out the new crank sensor was bad so I reordered another one problem solved no more problems it works it does not shut down it took me six months off and on working on truck in my shop on lunch breaks I rebuilt the whole top half of the motor, valve job ,gaskets,sensors,plugs,headers,computer,and painted aluminum parts with high performance wheel paint silver turned out really nice looks nice runs great

Old 01-31-2019, 04:17 PM
Spencer Cramer

Thank you for your input it was helpful try to keep in touch more often been very busy

Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer Cramer
1 31 19 better late than never I fixed the V10 shut down problems. All the pain and hassle I'm going through all the wiring from computer lacrosse engine cowl 2 driver side fix all the grounds and still had the problem. I sent the truck to a automotive electrician he diagnosed the truck and found out the new crank sensor was bad so I reordered another one problem solved no more problems it works it does not shut down it took me six months off and on working on truck in my shop on lunch breaks I rebuilt the whole top half of the motor, valve job ,gaskets,sensors,plugs,headers,computer,and painted aluminum parts with high performance wheel paint silver turned out really nice looks nice runs great
Would you happen to know what brand sensor you bought that was bad and which brand that did you right? The hunt is on for decent aftermarket sensors for the V10.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by racefan41
Would you happen to know what brand sensor you bought that was bad and which brand that did you right? The hunt is on for decent aftermarket sensors for the V10.
You can still find the Mopar sensors. Just gotta hunt. Find the correct part number for yours, then search with google.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can still find the Mopar sensors. Just gotta hunt. Find the correct part number for yours, then search with google.
Ah, I hear ya. I'm just kind of curious to see what other brands guys might have luck with. I've seen one or two Mopar ones online but the price starts getting crazy on some of them plus they make it seem like the supply is running short. That might just be to make you wanna buy it more.
I've also noticed that some places advertise under the mopar stock number but in other print it says its a replacement for it, not a genuine.

Last edited by racefan41; 02-01-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I haven't personally tried any of the aftermarket sensors on my 8.0, the stock one is still working. If I HAD to buy aftermarket, think I would try Standard Motor Products first, see how it went. Stay away from Dorman.... they suck.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 AM
Spencer Cramer

truck came out of vegas,ran pretty decent considering stock exhaust ,champion plugs ,numerous worn out valves,bad valve seats,I went into it slow at first,but after awhile I said your in this far just rebuild the whole top end,after I destroyed one head (broke the very last header bolt flush in the head).Now it purrs smoothly no more sputtering exhaust and new catalytic converters 2 and a half inch instead of 1 and five eighths, 4 inch out the back of flowmaster with 5 inch tip from diesel truck.

Quick Reply: 97 Ram 3500 4 wheel drive, automatic shutdown problems