2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Radio in 1998 1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 PM
San Diego Ron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio in 1998 1500

Radio not working (lights up and shows stations and such), pulled and checked connections, all OK. After looking at past posts here thinking it must be amp in kick panel...before I could tear into that radio started working, as I went to adjust volume it quit working again and can't get it to fire up again. It must be the volume control,...Question is has anyone taken radio apart to fix a similar problem?

Old 02-01-2019, 04:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by San Diego Ron
Radio not working (lights up and shows stations and such), pulled and checked connections, all OK. After looking at past posts here thinking it must be amp in kick panel...before I could tear into that radio started working, as I went to adjust volume it quit working again and can't get it to fire up again. It must be the volume control,...Question is has anyone taken radio apart to fix a similar problem?
Most people just replace them or upgrade to a newer radio. To my knowledge you would be the first to do that. If you do tear into it post pictures to help other people!

Old 02-01-2019, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Do you have the Infinity system?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM
San Diego Ron

Don’t know if this radio is the Infinity model but it looks like this.... If I do tear into the thing pictures will follow, right now it is not on top of list of projects like changing broken shifter cable in Corvette; getting my 1971 Chevy 1/2 ton ready to sell; figuring out what is wrong with the 350 engine in boat causing it to backfire and not run; checking driveshaft and U joints on this truck that is making a weird noise and the Honey Do list my wife keeps adding to.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Don’t know if this radio is the Infinity model but it looks like this.... If I do tear into the thing pictures will follow, right now it is not on top of list of projects like changing broken shifter cable in Corvette; getting my 1971 Chevy 1/2 ton ready to sell; figuring out what is wrong with the 350 engine in boat causing it to backfire and not run; checking driveshaft and U joints on this truck that is making a weird noise and the Honey Do list my wife keeps adding to.

You sure nee and you aren't related? Haha but that is an infinity radio

Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently had issues similar to you with my radio randomly working (no sound but everything else worked) with my factory infinity system. Replaced the head unit with an aftermarket just for it to totally quit after a couple days. So I did some tracing around and found out I didn't have power at my factory amplifiers. Turns out how the infinity system works is that there is two amplifiers, one on each of the front door speakers, that runs all the speakers on their respective sides of the truck. The power is delivered from what Chrysler calls the "choke and relay" that gets a signal from the head unit. From what I can tell its just a noise filter and relay, but they haven't made it since 2014. Once I finally find the choke and relay (I think its behind the cluster) I am planning on using a normal relay and a noise filter.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 PM
San Diego Ron

I found that if I gently tap on volume control switch long enough it eventually works...until trying to raise or lower volume and it quits again.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I found that if I gently tap on volume control switch long enough it eventually works...until trying to raise or lower volume and it quits again.
Time for a new radio.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 PM
San Diego Ron

WHAT!...no fix for that, surely there must be.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It would likely cost more to fix it, than it would to simply install another radio. I doubt that parts are even available for the radio any more.

Quick Reply: Radio in 1998 1500